1. Welcome to the new home for MySportTrac.com!

Please click here to find all the info about the move to the new site!

To access your account you will need to reset your password here

injector cleaner

Thread in 'Fuel and MPG' started by Ed Fenwick, Oct 19, 2017.

1. Ed Fenwick

Ed Fenwick Well-Known Member 1st Gen Owner

Aloha, I have a 2002 rear wheel drive. There is a timing chain issue. I hold the accelerator to the floor to get the oil pressure up before starting. Cranking with a warm engine, the engine shakes a lot. Could it be leaking injectors? I have now Marvel Mistery Oil, or should I get Sea Foam? Is one a better cleaner than the other.

Tks, God Bless Ed

2. EddieS'04

EddieS'04 Well-Known Member 1st Gen Owner 2 Wheel Drive V6 Engine

Im partial to chevron techron or berrymans.

3. Richard L

Richard L Well-Known Member 1st Gen Owner

Most Tier-1 gasoline from major brands contain detergent agents to clean you fuel system and injectors. The problem with tier-1 gasoline is that it often cost more than the generic gasoline and at 5, 10, or 15 cents extra per gallon is not worth the extra expense just for the added detergent agents

Like Eddie, I prefer to use a bottle of Chevron Techron. I also use Lucas Injector cleaner and it works well too. I pour a bottle in with a full tank of gasoline every other oil change or about every 6 months.

Remember that these injector cleaners are a maintenance item and only help keep the injectors clean. If your injectors are already fouled you will probably need a more industrial strength injector cleaner to get them clean. There are kits available for cleaning really dirty injector that will allow you to do this at home, or you can pay more and have a shop do this.

Cleaning injectors is always the first option and cheaper than replacing a fouled injector.

...Rich

4. Ed Fenwick

Ed Fenwick Well-Known Member 1st Gen Owner

thanks guys, the injectors are fine with normal start. I just need to go for a drive. Most of the time I go 0.5-1.0miles!!!

thanks Ed

5. Richard L

Richard L Well-Known Member 1st Gen Owner

Ed,

Driving only 0.5-1.0 miles does not foul injectors, it only makes your gas mileage suck. :grin:

Short trips are really bad on the oil since the engine does not warm up enough to cook off any internal condensation....that eventually converts to an acid that can damage internal engine parts. :cry:

....Rich

6. Duane Foster

Duane Foster Active Member 1st Gen Owner V6 Engine

I sometimes use that same method when starting my '02, and it often runs a little rough for a bit. You're probably just not driving far enough. Like Richard said, short trips are not good.

7. RedRanger 7

RedRanger 7 Active Member 1st Gen Owner V6 Engine

Maybe you could pull your oil pressure sensor and spray some brake clean on it for a better reading. Ive read on here before that the oil pressure gauge is more of an idiot light, its up or down and doesnt show actual pressures. Good luck with the shaking, maybe you should take it to a shop for an inspection and quote.
    Dave 2003 XLT