Info. on Front & Rear Diff. Oil

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aaron Cohn

Reaction score
Going to chage both differential oil this weekend. Does anyone know what size torqz fits and are they same size for both? How much oil do they take, and what is a good oil to use? I don't see this in the project list . While I am in the question mode what is the proper trans oil and do I use same in trans and transfer case, I probable will end up doing all of them in one shot.

Thanks for any input!!

Torx?

IIRC, 3/8" rachet fits. The plug has a square plug it it. Just right for a 3/8" rachet to work.

The tranny calls for Mercon V, the transfer case calles for Mercon. There is a difference between the two. Use the right fluid in the right item.

The front differential, you need to suck the fluid out. The rear you pull the cover.

If you have a standard open differential, you use 80W90 oil both front and rear. If you have a Limited slip rear differential, you use 75W140 fluid WITH some Friction modifier. he front still uses the 80W90 fluid.

As for fluid amounts, the best bet is to read your manual. It has all sorts of information like that in there.

Don't have one?? Download one for free at the link below.

Tom

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you Tom for the help!!!!!!!!! I am sure it will be an adventure as it always is when I get my tool box out:lol::lol:

The transmission takes Mercon V, the transfer case takes plain Mercon. Some ATF's are rated for both.