Infamous Cats again

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kyle Maguire

Reaction score
hey guys i was just wandering well alot of stuff. right now i have just a single-in single-out flowmaster 40 series exhaust on my 2003 ST XLT. Now i like it and all but its just dull sounding sometimes. i really m looking at true duals and or a Y-pipe. I am gunna have it looked at with a buddy of mine nd see what can be done. i need your help because i really wanna no what cats i can take out where they r located and just is it legal. i live in Pa if anyone is on here from the area and would no the laws on cats. ive been all around the internet but i cant really get a straight up answer. from what i know i m told i have 4 cats 2 near the engine and the sensors near the front and those i cant take out but the 2 cats near the back that r really resonators i can take out. im clueless anymore. Please help me get duals...........

I dont know about your laws. Or what they look for. The 2 front cats can be replaced with a pipe. Or the SS RT-Ypipe from zabteck. The front sensors are in front of those cats. The rear cats have to stay. You can remove the last one if your inspectors dont look for it. The final sensor is before the last one. If your inspectors do a dyno tail pipe sniff. I would leave the 2 rear ones.

I have the Front rt- ypipe. and both oem rears. Magnaflo cat back single. I dont think it will run or sound any better.

I have an idea about true duals. It is just too much $$ now. I need to make a flange for the y-pipe. Start with the parts below. The final sensor will be in the X-pipe. Then a 2 in 2 out magnaflo and twin tail pipes.

[Broken External Image]:

[Broken External Image]:[Broken External Image]:

Last edited by a moderator:
Random Technologies makes both the aforementioned Y-Pipe, and also a hi-flow catalytic converter that is a direct replacement, bolt-on piece for the Gen 1 Sport Trac. I have both of these on my Trac. I was originally running the same muffler as you (FM-40) with these two mods. Both the Y-pipe and cat gave the exhaust a much deeper tone, and folks often mistook my V6 for a V8.

c1ac90eeb64458b68e9ff7802499781a.jpg

The FM-40 lasted me almost eight years before developing a hole in it. I replaced it with a FM Delta Flow SUV 50-Series muffler. Same deep tone, just not as loud inside the cab.

Here's a link to our sponsor Zabteck's page for these products:

Last edited by a moderator:
I live in Pittsburgh (allegheny county) hardest in state for emissions. I have the RT Y-pipe (pre-cat delete), RT high flow Cat from Todd Z.. I also have a MagnaFlow single 2.5" in/ dual 2.5" out into a set of custom made tailpipes my buddy bent up for me for $160, all welded, no clamps. Most people ask what size V8 I have under the hood, most people also think its an F-150 because it sits higher then most fullsize trucks.

Latest posts