India

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Geoff Barker

Reaction score
I just got back from 6 weeks in India, the closest thing to a Sport Trac there is a Ford SUV called an Endevour. It's about the size of an Explorer, a little longer and a little narrower, powered by a turbocharged 2.5 litre. I saw less than 10 pickup trucks the whole time I was there, all of them midsize Japanese or Tata, an Indian manufacturer. Instead they haul things in little auto-rickshaws, tractors pulling wagons or heavy trucks. The roads have no lines on them so the concept of lanes is no more than a guideline. Traffic is a free-for-all, there is no such thing as roadrage, no one breaks the rules because there are no rules to break. Everyone is constantly honking their horn but it doesn't mean get out of my way, it simply means I'm here behind you. This is because half the cars don't have side mirror or if they did they have been knocked off in traffic. Indians are generally very good drivers because everything is so heads-up, it's probably an example of Darwin's Law about Survival of the Fittest. The bad drivers and dumb pedestrians don't last long. In Bangalore I read an article in the paper that said that the public buses had already killed 50 pedestrians this year. Actually there is one rule of the road and that is Size Does Matter, a Sport Trac would be seen as a bit of a brute by Indian standards, navigation through traffic would be slow but at least you would feel safer. [Broken External Image]:

[Broken External Image]:

Last edited by a moderator: