In response to my comrades.

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Two weeks is a little long to not figure out if you had financing or not by the dealer. Usually, they know if 3 days and they always have a sub prime lender that will take the loan if they can't get it through their 1st loan company such as Ford Financing Corp.

what happened to you seems to be all too common now a days

with dealers, they will do anything to put you behind the wheel

even allow you to drive off the lot without having secured the

financing for the vehicle they sold you.

as an example a neighbor of mine has a friend that came over in july

with a brand new 07 mountaineer eddie bauer edition, white and gold

and a beautiful truck she tells me she just bought it for 30 some

thousand dollars.

i think to my self hmmm 3 kids by 3 different dads not

married low paying job and feds helping pay her rent via that good old

section 8 program and she can afford payments like that " where do i sign up!!!"

2 weeks later she is back and driving a hyundai santa fe 2wd model i asked her

what happened to the mountaineer, she tells me that after almost 2 weeks they couldnt

get her financed for that much money ( ya think?) so they made her bring it back and

made her a deal on the santa fe, not what she wanted at half the size of the mountaineer but by that time her 99 explorer eddie bauer edition trade in was long gone and they couldnt get it back.

knowing she was low income i told her to get a legal aid lawyer and fight them on it

whether she tried to pursue i couldnt tell you because she hasnt mentioned it since

but she sure seems happy with her :huh:sante fe

Memphis,

If your town tv stations or news papers have investigative reporters, I'd definately contact each one of them or all of them and tell them your story and so they can do some investigating. You can ask for each one to come to your house. It may be a good idea also to write to FORD themselves (they don't need the bad reputation from dealerships who have shady business practicesl.) If you have the original contract that would be wonderful....I hope you did not give that back to them.

If they took your truck on the trade/down for that particular truck deal and said your credit was approved then, They reniged on the deal with you. It's their liablity if they missed something, not yours.(as Rich Stern stated)

hey should have had your truck IF they knew the deal was not done. You and the dealer only have so many days to recind as the others have stated. (depends on your state as to how many days)

Call another lawyer.better yet file a complaint with Attorney Generals office or Dealers licensing commision (not sure what it would be called in your state)

I believe the dealership was wrong since they told you credit was approved two weeks prior.

Good luck to you and Congrats to you and your wife regarding your new little one. :)

Now I'm wondering that when dealers take a car back, do they sell it as a new car? Used car? Demo? Gonna have at least a few hundred miles on now. Can they roll back digital odometers? If they sell it as a used car or demo do they take enough of a beating on the markup that it might not be worth taking back?

I used to sell cars back in the 80's, no way would my dealer let somebody off the lot without financing being set. Heck, I lost a sale to a drunk guy who was going to pay cash (it was falling out of his pockets, literally) only because it was a Saturday and we couldn't transfer his insurance, nobody at his agent's office. When he sobered up on Monday he changed his mind. :angry:

Demonstrator.

Think about it: Have you ever driven a "demonstrator" car? Hell no-- they let you drive the exact unit you want to buy.

Demonstrator is the same thing as "used" or "rental". However, Demonstrator is worth MSRP minus $200. Same used car is worth MSRP minus $10,000. Just depends on who's purpose is being served as to what they call it.

Car salespeople and the entire process makes me SICK. :angry:

Car salespeople and the entire process makes me SICK.

Yes, I agree. Especially, when buying domestic vehicles. I the last 10 years we have purchased:

2 Acura's

3 Ford's

4 Toyota's

1 BMW

1 Mercedes Benz

The PIA sales process was only with Ford-3 different dealers.

In fact, I bought the BMW and Mercedes Benz over the phone, all the negotiations were handled that way until we signed paperwork in person.

Try that with Ford, and I have, and it don't work that way.

The local Ford dealer tried to sell us a FULLY loaded Edge demo with about 3000 miles on it for a $350 discount!:wacko: Good luck with that offer on a $35K vehicle.....

That wasn't the only stunt they pulled, we wound up basically walking out.

The sales manager asked about our trade in, we told her about it and she said she expected it would be worth 12-14K, but when we came back (we borrrowed the vehicle for a few hours) she'd have all our numbers ready. We came back (slightly later than we said even) and she had nothing ready. Finally she came out and offered us $8400 for our trade and the "demo discount" of $350. We only knew the MSRP of the demo before we left, and the fact that it had "DEMO !! SAVE $$$" written on the winshield real big. Needless to say, I won't be doing any car shopping there in the future.

Demonstrator is the same thing as "used" or "rental".

Not quite, but you are not far from it. A demo is a car that is driven by the sales manage, service manager, office manager, owner, top salesman, etc. that has a car negotiated into his or her salary. They are limited on the ammount of miles they can drive.

It is completely up to the dealer to decide how much of a discount they want to give you. They have no legal obligation to give you any discount if they do not want to. it is up to the buyer to decide if they are giving him a fair deal or not.

Frankly, I never buy a new car off the lot. I order mine and it better have less than 5 miles on it or a little note from Ford saying it was factory road tested. And when I take delivery, my warranty goes to 36,000 + the number of miles that was on it when I took delivery. So if it has 7 miles on it, the warranty is good until 36,007 miles.

Tom

2 Acura's

3 Ford's

4 Toyota's

1 BMW

1 Mercedes Benz

The PIA sales process was only with Ford-3 different dealers.

Since I used to be a car salesman in a previous life long, long ago, my guess is that the import guys are a lot less hassle simply because theirs is a less competitive business when there are less Honda and BMW dealers than there are Ford dealers (or any domestic). When I was in the business I came to the conclusion that the only cars for salesmen to make money on were imports. Too much competition in selling domestics and by the time you sell a car, you don't make any money on it.

The salesman demo plan where I worked was you paid 1% of the invoice price a month until the car was sold and you were limited to 4000 miles. I never did that because I couldn't afford it...because I didn't sell enough cars...which is why I don't sell cars any more. ;)

You're right though, we didn't use those much for test drives unless the demo had an engine or some other feature the customer wanted to see that none of the other cars on the lot had.

Why not help a fellow Trac'er out. Have a site administrator pin an email to those jerks and one to Ford letting them know that they could have and should have handled the situation a little better. There are strength in numbers and if we stick together we can help each other when situations arise. I'm not sure of the total membership but just for sake of argument lets say 10,000. 10,000 emails to 2 Friends looking to buy a new vehicles stating that so and

so-es dealership is a ripoff would raise a brow or two. I don't think flooding the offender with emails would really accomplish much is why I suggested a site administrator. The administrators should have the power to approve or dis-approve any actions.

Nick, What about petitions signed by us, from the site adminstrator to any dealership and Ford and a local news station that screws an st buyer. As you say the numbers may mean something. Iam shure ford monitors this site and can easly verify the members that signed the pettition.

Here is the best prevention from crap like this.

Get all your ducks in a row before you enter the dealer. Know what you are willing to pay and already have financing in hand. Do not drive away until all paperwork is signed.

Tom

Caymen,, you are right but there are some that get confused and flustered with the whole proccess. They really dont know how to research. My wife says Iam a nut when I deal but since after '88 I get what I want or close enough to it. I asked wife one day, the couple of cars you bought before we married. Did you pay what they were asking? the answer was yes. Some folks just dont have the knack and the salesman can read that..

I know more about a car I am going to buy than the salesman that sells it does. That is your first line of defense against those wolves. The second thing you do is call banks and know what intrest rates are at. Knowing what intrest rate you can get is going to go a long way. If you belong to a Credit Union, use them. If you do not belong to one, see if you can join one. Many communities now have credit unions that allow ANYONE the lives or works in the community to join.

Decide on a price you can afford and stick to it. If all you can afford is $15,000, do not shop for $20,000 vehicles.

A family member used to shop by telling a salesman what she wanted and told them to get me your BEST price. No games. Once she got the price, she had it in writing and went to another dealership and said the same thing. When she got the lowest price, they got the sale.

No, "Let me go talk to the manager" BS. You best price and you have one chance. If it is lower then the current one, you go to the top of the list. Highest price, she would get up and walk out.

There are so many ways to negotiate prices. Each person is different.

The internet gives us so many ways to research a vehicle. Knowing what options are available shuts the salesman up before he has a chance to feel you out.

Tom

When we bought our Trac, we walked in with financing in hand. I never saw the dealer until the price had been negotiated by e-mail. I went through Ford's web site, optioned it the way I wanted it, and sent out a request for bids. Only one met our price.:)

The finance manager wanted to see if he could beat our interest rate, so I let him try. We signed papers with Ford credit on Saturday at 1/2% lower than I had arranged with the bank. They called back on Monday to say Ford turned us down at the rate we were quoted at, and we had to bring it back to resign at a higher rate. I said "no problem, just fill it out for my bank". They had forgotten about my earlier financing! They weren't too happy to lose the credit sale, and I wasn't all that happy with the extra 1/2%, but at least it's the same as I walked in with.;)

Later I found out they fired the finance manager!:eek:

A family member used to shop by telling a salesman what she wanted and told them to get me your BEST price. No games. Once she got the price, she had it in writing and went to another dealership and said the same thing. When she got the lowest price, they got the sale.

And dealers will do the best they can not to let that happen. Or do like I told a newspaper writer years ago. She had written an article about the problems she had shopping for cars (truck actually, she ended up with a 4x4 Ranger). I told her to have an idea of what her trade was worth and markup on a new rig is roughly 10% or a little more. For the appraisal have a spare key to give them and photocopies of your drivers license and registration and a cell phone with the local police non-emergency number to report a stolen vehicle if they won't give you back your keys and car. If they want the real registration just say "No, copies are all you're going to get, do you want to sell me a car or not?" It's a shame that that's what we have to resort to to get a new car, but that's how it is. You have a better shot at getting treated decent at a smaller family-owned dealership than a huge mega lot, even if you pay a little more. I never beat them down on price, if I get a fair deal for both of us I'm cool. I deal with the same couple places too, so they know I'm a good dude to work with and that when I come in I'm probably going to buy something. BS is a two-way street and I've been on the other side too and they know that.