In Need of A Little Help, trying to move a camping trailer with a Nissan

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dalton Hill

Reaction score
Ok this is off topic, But

My dad has made his mind up that he and my brothers were going to go camping this week. but he has a prob. He drives a 05 Nissan armada 5.6L v8 and he is trying to pull our 41ft 8,000lb. camping trailer out of our yard. But where he parked the camper it is on a slight slope down. and he can't seem to get it out b/c his wheels keep spinning. If we have not just got like almost 3in. of rain like 4 or 5 days ago it would not be any trouble. i told him he should have gotten a 4x4 and he told me he did not need one.(hahaha think again). so my question is can you guys come up with any ideas on how to get this HEAVY camper out of the yard? we have tried several things that have not worked. here is a pic of the slop i am talking about with our old MUCH LIGHTER Camper in the pic.

[Broken External Image]: Any Ideas???

Thanks

Dalton

Put a couple of sheets of plywood on the ground, then put the truck on them, hook up the trailer, and drive away.

I think the plywood will just slide from under the tires. You may need to use some bags of sand for traction like folks use on ice and snow when they get stuck. However, if the ground is too soft, that may not work. The best thing to do is to find a friend with 4WD to pull it out to the street and then your dad can hook up and go on his trip.

dingo is right by putting plwd on the ground it gives it stable ground and the weight if the truck will help it pull because youare on stsble ground

good luck let know the result

Just be careful if you try the plywood trick that you don't spin the tires and kick the plywood out. Something that big could leave a mark. :D

Seriously though if the camper has sunk at all you might want to put some plywood under it's tires as well.

Take the camper apart, piece by piece, and reassemble on higher ground. :)

Or...

Don't move it. My 5 year old daughter thinks camping in the back yard is fun. :)

Seriously, though, I'd be very wary of putting plywood or anything similar under the drive tires. Odds are that the wheels will grip the plywood, the grass/mud won't, and the plywood will go flying dangerously. I'd go with the suggestion of a second tow vehicle pulling the first. It likely won't take much HP from the second vehicle--even a small car may be able to do it if you use the right tow point on both vehicles.

Borrow a 4x4. :D Even a Trac should be able to move an 8000 lb. trailer out of there if you put it in low range.

Latest posts