Improving tailgate strength...... Update

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chris smith 5

Reaction score
About 6 months ago I was headed off to Texas for 3 months and wanted to take my Buell along with me. From Minot AFB to Lackland AFB its 1600+ miles and I was worried about the strength of the tailgate for such a long trip so I asked for some input. This is what I came up with:

[Broken External Image]:

[Broken External Image]:

[Broken External Image]:

[Broken External Image]:

Well over 4,500 miles now with the bike stuffed back there and its been great. Get about 18 MPG at 75 MPH too.

It may be overkill considering my XB only has a 52" wheel base and sits pretty far foward on the tailgate anyway, but better safe than sorry.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've also discovered how incredibly versatile our small beds can be. Just a few bungie cords and smart use of bed tie downs and you're good to go.

Yep . .I just took my R6 from Fort Campbell, KY to Indianapolis w/out any extra tailgate support. No problems. I used some ratchets secured to the subframe and the first hooks in the bed to pull the majority of the weight up . . . . Great trip. I love this little truck.

Yep, versatile but short bed....about 2 inches short of being able to close tailgate when I hauled a washer and dryer this weekend. No problem though with proper use of rope and straps.

IMO the most important thing to keep and eye here are the tailgate cables, any sign of corrosion or fraying, they should be replaced ASAP.

The bike is an 03'. I had a belt pick up a few rocks and make a few holes last summer while riding through yellowstone. The belt didnt break but obviously needed to be replaced so I bought a chain conversion instead of new belt.

Its 3/4" plywood. The hinges are stainless steel, and I added the hooks so nothing slides around. They're really not necessary because the weight of the bike holds it in place. Total parts cost was about $18.

Latest posts