I'm in!

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

David Smith 2

Reaction score
Got myself the 03 ST Saturday. I think I am going to really like it. Couple of things I noticed the more I drove it. My wife has 05 Explorer with the 4.0 engine and her throttle response and acceleration seems much better. My ST has a leer camper on the back. Is that thing that heavy to be slowing it down some? It has the 4.10 rear end and large 255 tires. I would have thought it would be some better. Thinking of changing the intake to cold air more free flow and I have been looking at the "Halo" spark plugs. Any thoughts about either, I need to squeek out the best mpg I can get since I drive around 80 miles a day. Glad to be a ST driving member now.:D

Forget the plugs, you are best off running OEM Motorcraft plugs. If you're looking for the best mileage, open up the intake and exhaust, make sure its tuned up (plugs, wires, 02 sensors) and get an XCalibator2 or 3 with an economy tune from either BamaChips or Torrie (both sponsors of MyST.com). An electric fan can also help by reducing parasitic drag.

Going to a narrower tire is also likely to help your mileage a bit, what speed is most of your driving done at? If its highway (65 mph and up) speed, I'd probably stay close to you stock tire height. If its city driving, moving to a slightly shorter tire (235/70-16) will raise your final drive ratio a little, making it easier to get your truck going from a stop and at low speeds.

How many miles were on the truck?

Most of the driving is Colorado Mountain highway with not any passes or steep climbs with a trip through one small town. As far as miles it had 77,000 and some change miles. It is super clean inside and out XLT package. Any idea how much those Leer campers weigh?

The Sport Trac is about 1,000 lbs heavier that the Explorer. Not much you can do about the weight.

An Xcal will help in power, but not like the Explorer.

As for gas mileage, if it is a big concern for you, you would have been better getting a car. Expect to see what your wife gets with her Explorer.

Tom

Had the car, needed a truck. Was driving a Honda Element(The toaster!) If I can get 20-22 like the Exlorer then I will be more than satisfied. I think I will start with the intake and go from there. Any have experience with some of the intakes advertised on ebay. They are much cheaper than buying the K&N kit.

Honestly, you could go with the eBay kit, or buy from a sponsor here. I am running a Zabtek kit from ToddZ on my wifes Explorer and a K&N on the Trac.

You do get great service from Zabtek. Something you will never get on eBay.

Tom

I think most people who can keep their foot out of the floor and have a well tuned vehicle average around 17-18 in town, and 20-22 on the highway. Check your mileage for a few tanks and see how you do in stock form.

I second the great service you'll get from the guys at Zabteck!

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts