I'm getting a little concerned

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mark K 2

Reaction score
2001 Job 2 4x4. 113,000 miles. Original rear brakes. No squealing or grinding. Brakes work fine. Just for shitz and giggles (and peace of mind), I ordered new pads and a spring accessory kit.

Is 133,000 miles normal for original rear pads?

2001 has brake drums. Depending on driving habits. I have seen rear shoes last thru, 3 sets of front disc pads. If you havent been flushing your brake fluid. You might find you will need new brake cylinders.

With that millage I would replace them anyway. New rear brake cylinders. Only cost a few $$ more than the rebuild kit. Also at that age and millage. Most of them I have honed. Still had pits in the fluid area. And new cups wont seal. Plus many times I find the piston sticking on one end or the other.

I brake gently and early. None of this jumping on the brakes at the last second. I'm on my second replacement set of front pads at 113,000 miles, if that means anything.

Last edited by a moderator:
I wouold say 113K miles, is notbad for rear drum shoes. Our tracs are heavy. Will wear on the shoes more than a car.

For peace of mind. 'Cause of millage and years. I would also replace the rear brake cylinders. As mike said, good idea to have the drums turned. Brake shoes can be finiky bedding to an old drum surface. More so than disc rotors, that look good. In m experiance I have had rear drums, that were slightly out of round. You couldnt tell it, like if they were on the front.

All the above is good advice. How long brakes last depend on how and where you drive. When I used to work in Downtown Pittsburgh I had a Mustang that I'd change gears maybe 8 times and I was on the highway to work. Got 97k out of the original rear brakes and over 100k on the original clutch because they simply didn't get used a lot.

The other thing, as Eddie said, is the wheel cylinders. If they're a little sketchy then the rear brakes may not be operating properly and that's why they're not wearing out. On a lot of cars if the front brakes are getting roasted pretty fast the problem isn't really with the front brakes, it's from

the rears not doing their share of the work.

Latest posts