Im being sued

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, got letter in the mail, and the suit is being opened back up. the guy came up with a reason of the fact he was being married on the 18th and he forgot about the court date on the 17th. Doesnt make any sense to me. he set up the court date, and he should have noticed it was the day before his wedding, you know his wife noticed the date and said to him "Honey that is the day before our wedding". he should have changed the date then. makes me frustrated. Now he will be wasting 2 days of my life. I am thinking about filing a counter suit for my missed wages for the first court date. It is rediculous that his excuse is that his wedding made him forget the date, if anything it would help you remember the date of court........ what a dipshit.

Stick to your guns and don't let him bully you. Call his bluff and go back to court. Any judge with a lick of common sense will throw it out.

Also, I'd check to see if his wedding excuse is legit. Go back and look at newspaper wedding announcements for the 18th. Better yet, go down to the county courthouse and look up marriages for that date.

These type of bull-squeeze lawsuits are exactly why we need serious tort reform in this country, including instating a system wherein the loser pays all court costs and even the winner's expenses.:soap::angry::banghead:

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree with TrainTrac,

Do a check on marriages and see if you can find if he was actually married on the day before the court date. Remember that he may have gotten married in a different city, county or state...so not finding the marriage recorded may not be such a cut and dry proof that he did not get married. It might be good to ask for proof in court, since it did cost you a day of work, and it might show this guy is just trying to try your patience...and the court's. You might even be able to ask the court to verify his excuse for missing the original court date?

As for suing for wasting your time taking off work to go to court, unfortunately you cannot normally sue for that, but I would now add it to my countersuit to make sure the judge knows that he failed to show up on the previous court date, and it is costing you more money.

This may be a game this guy is playing by not showing up in court and later coming up with an excuse to reschedule, knowing that you are taking off work and that is costing you money. If the Judge knows this, perhaps there are some exceptions if the Judge feels that the Plaintif is just trying to drag it out to cost you money, hoping you will give in and just pay him. If the guy does not show up this time, I would definitely ask the court to dismiss the case and award you payment for your lost wages...be sure to bring pay stubs to prove your wages, and if possible, your pay stubs for the time period where he fail to show up for the previous court date.

PS: Be sure to check the dates on any documents he submits, ie: repair estimates, etc. If they occurred after the previous court date, he may have wanted to reschedule the court date because he did not have his case ready, and you might get the documents thrown out. It could also indicate that he has added things after the lawsuit was filed, or that he was intending to defraud you from the begining. That might also show he lied about the reason he used for missing the previous court date??

Good luck,

...Rich

Last edited by a moderator:
I own my own company, and it will be hard to prove the lost wages, but there has got to be something to get him for. I will definatly file a counter suit ust so if he doesnt show up I will be awarded something and the case should cease to exist after that. I thank you for your info and I will request copies of the bills for work done to vehicle.

Brian,

If you own your own business and can prove that you lost income to come to court, you could still get awarded your lost income, but only if the judge feels this guy used phoney excuse to miss the previous court date. If you can show how much you earn in an average day, and can show that you had less or no income the day you went to court and the guy did not show up...you might get lucky.

I would really try to get the court to seek proof that this guy actually got married on the day before the previously scheduled court date. I personally think it sounds and smells fishy.

As a police officer, this guy should already know that unless he can prove fraud, all used car sales are "AS IS". He even test drove the vehicle, and never claimed there was a brake problem. He should have taken the vehicle to his mechanic before he bought it, not after.

I am almost willing to bet this guy does not show up in court for the second court date....and if you have a countersuit, he may end up having to pay for wasting your time, and the court's time..:grin:

....Rich

....Rich

I cannot imagine why a wedding would be an appropriate excuse for not showing up in court.

The clown deserves a CONTEMPT charge too.

Get nasty with him and shut him down. He sounds like a real bully.

Our wonderful state of minnesota had a state shut down............ Dont get me started. well anyways there are no court dates set for the month of july due to no funding. I have not received the new court date yet, But I will let you guys know when I find out. Yes Gavin I too dont think a wedding is a good excuse, hell you know either him or his wife knew right away that the date was the day before their wedding. they should have changed the date.

Well his time came and gone. He did not pay the county to re due the court date, So it is all over. I got notice that the original judgement stands, which is in my favor. What a loser. thanks for all your support threw this. I still miss my trac

Justice! Hate that you had to deal with it but glad it worked out alright.

"F**K the Police" - N.W.A

Hahaha, I love the self entitlement most cops feel. I respect them regardless, but hate how douchey alot of them are.

Stand ur ground, keep EVERYTHING documented and said between the two of u, and if you do go to court, counter sue to pay the court fees