"Ignition" wire for radio - where is the fuse?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eric C

Reaction score
I attempted to install a new headunit last night, and once all the wiring was completed, I connected the headunit, started the Trac and...nothing. The headunit might as well be unplugged.

I disconnected the headunit and put a mulimeter up to the connector and found 12V on the +12V lead, but the Ignition lead shows 0V in all key positions.

I'm going to go as far back in the wiring harness to confirm or deny the presence of current on that rail, but if it's dead, does anyone know which fuse powers this lead?

I checked the manual, and there's nothing clear-cut...probably about 6-8 or so fuses that COULD be the culprit...and I really don't feel like ripping out all those fuses to do resistance testing on all of them =)

Just get a test light, Can check every fuse in 20 seconds..

Todd Z

I plan on getting one after this =)

Crutchfield came to the rescue. On a whim, I asked them if they happened to know which fuse it was. They had three suggestions (two in the driver's side dash end-cap, one under the hood). I started pulling those three to bring them in the house and test them, but when I pulled the one under the hood (#39...and clearly labeled in the manual as "Delayed accessory"...d'oh!) was clearly blown.

I have to do some work shortly, so my wife offered to run to the auto parts store to pick up a spare. I'll let you guys know if this was the one...but something tells me it is =)

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts