IAC or Fuel Pump

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chris Castineira

Reaction score
I have a 2004 xlt 4x4 and recently it has not been been starting well, the whole turn the key and nothing, i thought it was the fuel pump from what i searched but now after reading the last post it could posibly be the IAC valve. This has happened before in the summer but now that its winter it seems to happen every 1 out of every 4 starts when its cold, if the trac is hot it starts right up. It has 23,000 miles on it and if anyone could pin point what it is i would appriciate it.

CHRIS

Sounds like the IAC.

Some of the earlier STs had problems with fuel pumps not holding pressure so it would be hard starting in the morning after sitting for a few hours overnight. In the mornings, turn the key to the "on" position, but don't start the truck, let the fuel pump prime the lines for about 15sec. Then turn it off, and then crank it up. You may see a difference and it'll crank right up, in which case, it would seem more likely to be the fuel pump.

You could also just clean the IAC using the project and see if that fixes your problem. IMO, IAC cleaning should be a maintenance thing done like once a year, not just when there's a problem.

After cleaning the IAC. If it continues change the fuel filter next, before messing with the pump.

Latest posts