IAC cleaning

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John Purdy

Reaction score
I seen in the posts when cleaning the IAC you should be sure the valve moves. My valve has a round metal tube in the housing that a black plastic thing moves on it. Should the metal tube move or just the plastic thing move. I tryed to move the tube but it would not move.

On my '01, the black plastic valve seal is attached to and moves with the shaft. The shaft runs from the motor, through the seal, seat and into a bushing in a housing protrusion at the opposite end from the motor. The entire shaft moves.

Mine looks like this:

[Broken External Image]:

Does this help?

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm having some very minor "high idle" occurrences upon initial cold start...not always, but when it happens it takes a few extra seconds for it to settle down to normal idle. Is that an IAC issue?

It could be. It may be sticking open a bit. Typically an erratic idle is the symptom.

Easy to clean. Takes about 30 to 40 minutes (two beers at most).

Yardsale, are you sure about those 30-40 minutes? You must be including the time to edit the beautifully annotated photos of your work.

I'd say 10 minutes is about right, for those who skip the photography.