I wonder if this really works

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mark K 2

Reaction score
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/cS87YEQYCsQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Last edited by a moderator:
Nope, it's fake. You cannot break a car window by tapping it with your finger. However it is possible to break a car window with something as small and hard as a BB thrown by hand or fired out of a small tube like a pea-shooter.

I actually seen this demonstrated on TV a few years ago. They were demonstrating how someone could easily break the passenger side window and snatch a purse on the passenger seat while a woman driver was stopped at a traffic light.

Some of the rescue devices you keep in your car to break a window to exit if the doors are stuck or if you are under water in the car use either a small pointed hammer, or what is nothing more than a spring loaded center punch.

Tapping with your finger is not realistic unless he had some hard metal object hidden in his hand. I suspect that he had an accomplice (probably in the audience) who fired some kind of small hard projectile at the window to get it to break. If you listen carefully, you can hear a very loud and distinct click before the window actually breaks.

....Rich

The spring-loaded centerpunch was a standard issue to the rescue squad I used to belong to. Still have it in the truck. One click and that side or back window would fall away faster than a prom queen's dress. I could see maybe he might have had one in his hand(concealed). But no, just tapping ain't gonna do it. Don't believe everything you see or read on the net, there's a lot of BS out there. Bob

Bob C,

I agree. He probably had a spring loaded center punch concealed in his other hand and hidden by his body from the camera and most viewers who would be watching his tapping on the window...since that was the misdirection, just like slight of hand magicians use.

...Rich

One of the youtube comments said to look at what the instructor is palming in his gloved, left hand at 1:24 of the video. Look closely; pausing if needed.

I bought my wife one of those spring loaded center punch devices off Amazon for a few bucks. It's small enough to keep on a keychain. Unlike a hammer, all you do is press it against the window and that activates the spring which shoots the punch out about 1/8th of an inch.

the end of a car antenna with the metal ball on it can be used. you hold it gainst the glass, pull the ball away from the glass and let it snap... it my take a couple of tries, but i've done it in EMT re-cert class...

Bo,

I can see where that can be more accessable. Than the hammer version. The hammer is lible to get burried in the console or glove box.

Good Idea......

Bo & Eddie,

I have a spring loaded center punch, but never seen a spring loaded center punch that fits on a key chain... I agree with Eddie, that is really a great idea!

Bo, let us know where you got yours. :haveabeer:

...Rich

Last edited by a moderator:
I have this one, the Res-Q-Me, it may be what the instructor has concealed in his hand.

When you detach it from the keychain, you expose the seat belt cutter.

It will not work on new laminated auto glass.

jk h,

It will not work on new laminated auto glass

What do you mean by "New laminiated auto glass"??? These devices will not work on Windshields since they are laminated as part of the safety restraint structure of the vehilce, but side windows are tempered glass, not laminated glass. Side glass should never be laminated since that WOULD be a serious escape/rescue safety issue.

...Rich