I went super stealth on the LP

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lee Wettstein

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I was looking at the license plate relocation project and I liked the idea,

but I wasn't happy with just moving it up. I took it off and tried a few

things, and finally came up with what I think is a pretty rad mod.

Have a look and let me know what you think.

Thx,

Lee

[Broken External Image]:

[Broken External Image]:

[Broken External Image]:

Last edited by a moderator:
Pretty cool idea but you might get bothered by the police since it's not completely visible. Also you're kinda blocking airflow to the radiator, just a heads up otherwise I like it. :haveabeer:

Thanks Jerry, It's pretty visible from the front and there's limited

blockage of airflow to the rad. The pic below is a bit better from the front.

[Broken External Image]:

Pretty cool, and the rest of the trac looks pretty sharp.

As long as the cops don't care, I say go for it. Here in MD I know that a front plate is mandatory, but when I had a sedan--which mounted the license plate below the front bumper--I smashed the plate holder on a curb and just took it off, and the cops never bothered me about it. Maybe you'll have the same, or hopefully better, luck with the long arm of the law in your state.

any tips on how you did that, i like the idea and i live in baltimore, the cops say as long as the plate is attached to the front of the car, and visible its ok. and yours is both, i would like to do that to mine. can you let me know the steps you took.

thanks.

Nice,,but wont fly in texas. They passed a law few years ago. No part of the plate can be hidden. That includes any writting on the top or bottom. Doesnt matter if the main numbers are readable..:banghead:

Thanks for the feedback everyone. I've had it like this for almost 2 weeks and haven't

been hassled, but then I really haven't seen any cops either.

I guess I will just wait and see what happens, worst case, they give me a fine

but i'll probably just get a warning after I plead ignorance.

any tips on how you did that, i like the idea and i live in baltimore, the cops say as long as the plate is attached to the front of the car, and visible its ok. and yours is both, i would like to do that to mine. can you let me know the steps you took.

thanks.

Jyran, I took a pic for you. The thing is, is I just kind of wedged it in there for now, theres no sense wasting time fabbing a bracket until I'm satisfied that the cops are good with it.

If you take yours off and fit it into the lower valance, you should be able to figure out what I did.

[Broken External Image]:

Eddie

I know Texas does not allow any part of the plate to be covered, but most license plate frames will cover some parts of the plate.

They really want the front plate for laser speed gun targets, and the don't want the back plate obscured so they can run your plates for wants/warrants when they chase you down to give you the speeding ticket. :bwahaha:

The cops might be a bit stricter down in Houston, but here in the Waco area, I have never heard of anyone getting a ticket for that. Had a friend who did not put his front plate on and got stopped. He acted completely bewildered. The cop figured it fell off and just told him to go to the license bureau and apply for a new one. :grin: My luck I would have gotten hauled off to jail and had a body cavity search, etc:angry:

...Rich

Richard L,

When the law first came out. The local PD's used it quite a bit. Anyone that had frames with large borders. Some of those frames covered up half of the word Texas. That included some of the dealer frames. The parts stores never stoped selling the large border custom frames.

The PD's have relaxed alot now. Talking with a few I know. They do use it to pull over a suspicious car. Probably part of the laws purpose..

Wasnt a problem for me. I have always prefered thin bordered frames.

Latest posts