I want to lift my sport trac

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Andrew Tollison 3

Reaction score
I want to put a lift on my 02 sporttrac 4x4 but I do not know what type to get. I am wanting to put on either 33's or 35's. How big of a lift would I need to get and what would be the easiest to do? I am new to this site and I am looking forward to seeing what everyone has to say.

To fit 33s and 35s there are basically two options. To fit 33s you need 3 to 5 inches of lift. You can do a TT/SL and a 3 inch body lift for a total of around 5 inches. This can fit 33s well with minor trimming or 35s with more trimming. This is cheeper and easier than doing the 4 inch superlift in which you can only fit 33s with that. Or one more option would be to get the superlift and bodylift and you would have no problem fitting 35s but this would be quite expensive. Or you can just do the TT/SL and gain around 2 inches and run 285/75/R16 tires i believe on the stock rims.

Oh and welcome to the site!

here is my ST with TT/SL and 3 inch body lift with 33s.

[Broken External Image]:

[Broken External Image]:

Last edited by a moderator:
How do they handle off road. I have just recently started driving the ST since my wife wanted to swap cars with me. She is driving my 02 Explorer. It has only been in 4wd twice since we have had it and that has been about 2 years.

A TT/shackle lift will get you about 1.5". I run 265/75-16's but people have said they fit 285/75-16's with this. A 285/75-16 is roughly 33" tall but narrower than the common 33x12.50-15 size. You could also run the 33x10.50-15's that BFG makes. For the 15's use a 15x8 wheel with 3.75" backspace. With that a 32x11.50-15 should also fit.

To fit a 33x12.50 you'll need either the Superlift 4" kit or a 3" body lift and 15x8/3.75" BS wheels or 15x10/4.5" BS wheels. The front wheel bearings will be happier with 15x8's. 10's are okay as long as you don't mind servicing the wheel bearings annually.

To fit 35's you're looking at both a suspension and a body lift. If you're going to actually go off-roading (doesn't sound like you do) you will break front end parts with 35's that you won't with 33's. I know people that have done this and found the late-model Ranger/Explorer front end doesn't like tires taller than 33".

Also you should really move up to 4.56 gears to make it run right.

[Broken External Image]:

So even with a 34x10.5 tire on a 16x8 rim would break front suspension parts? Thats what I want to run when I get my bodylift. I guess I could settle for a 33. And yes I do 4wheel my ST.

ummm i know that 285/75/16 is 32.8" (just thought I would let you know... in case you were wondering (it what I have)

I got all my work done at the local 4X4 shop. The total for installing and the price of the parts for the TT/SL, body lift, mount and balance the tires, the actual tires, alignment, new rancho rsx shocks, and Rear hitch was around $3000. There are a couple of members here that have installed the body lift themselves if you do a search for body lift you should find a ton of information and there might be a project on how to do it too. As for the TT/SL there are a ton of people that have done that themselves and it is fairly easy to do and the shackles cost around 60$ so it is not that expensive. There is a project on how to do the torsion twist/shackle lift too.

A 34x10.50 isn't much over, just go easy on the skinny pedal. It's not so much the suspension, the weak spot is the halfshafts and CV joints. When you have bigger tires and more traction it creates more rotating mass and more stress on the driveline. If you haven't practiced changing a halfshaft at home, then doing it in the woods on your back in the dirt with a log for a jackstand is not the place to learn. Guy in my Ranger club had a sweet '99, nicely built, and broke a lot of parts with 35's that he never did with 33's, but in fairness he did wheel it hard. Eventually he went back to 33's.

If you get the TT/shackle lift done, how much does it affect the center of gravity? Anything to be concered with as far as increased rollever risk?

could I do a torsion twist to get the front level with the rear and just add some slightly bigger tires. I have been thinking and if my wife wants to drive it she would have a hard time getting in it because she is 4'11".

could I do a torsion twist to get the front level with the rear and just add some slightly bigger tires.

That'll work. Then put on 265/70-16's or 265/75-16's and you'll be good.

I have a 04 and I am installing the superlift 4in right now will be done tommorow I will post pictures next week when my tires and wheels come in the lift is not easy some mods needed to make it work lots of extra stuff to make front axle brackets work correctly but im going with 305/75/16 tires on 16x8 wheels per superlift good luck

Latest posts