I think I need a new fuel pump but I don't want to spend $700

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cov man

Reaction score
Vehicle is hard to start. I found one split vacuum hose which I replaced, I replaced the pvc valve, I had the plugs replaced, a new fuel filter and new air filter, not sure what else it could be..... its a 2002, any suggestions or comments? I see a few other threads on the subject, I dont have the facilities to do this myself, the quote I received is from a trusted shop, Im sure a dealer would charge more...

connect a fuel pressure gage to the fuel rail to verify pressure, engine on and off..

Last edited by a moderator:
if you key on 5to7 times wil start rite up?(check this sport trac board fuel pump)

if so it may be pump although check the battery my trac stac startewd hard and i replaced the battery and it turns over fires rite off( my battery was 7 tears old and not holding a chrge it start hard and i had to keep reseting the radio)

In my judgement that price is double what it should cost. Changing the fuel pump can be done by yourself. First you need to check whether you have a single or duel post fuel pump. Price is almost double for the duel port pump. If you get the pump only, like I did, and do it yourself it should only cost you a couple hundred.

Just put the truck up on ramps, and lower the gas tank (mostly empty) with a floor jack. Be careful not to get gas in your mouth. Best pull the appropriate fuse, then run the engine to get the gas out of the lines. Should not take more that a couple of hours oof your time.

I have a 2002 and have the same issues you are describing. Turns out my fuel pump was not holding pressure after the ST was turned off and the fuel in the lines was leaking back into the tank.

Instead of replacing the pump, I now make a habit of cycling the ignition 2x before starting so the pump switches on and builds pressure back into the lines. Poor mans fix at best, but has been working like a charm ever since for the last 3 years. Good luck!

no codes and yes I have been cycling the key and it seems to be working, trouble is I've been wanting to get the wife a remote start for christmas so this is holding things up. I haven't thought about checking the battery, I think if there were problems with it Id have other problems related to it. I'm reluctant to do this myself, I don't have a heated garage and every time I try something like this something goes horribly wrong. I recall doing a fuel pump replacement on an old saab 900 I had and it was a complete disaster.

my trac was starting harde i noticed when i first turned switch on no fuel pump noise or humming type sound after trying to start it would make a noise like a robot come to find out it was the cd changer ,waitminute or so cycle the key it would start fine no problem i then tested all componets allok i was out away from tool box stopped at a shop all tested fine two later no fuel preesure at the intial keyy on after two three cycles it would start normal so i pulled battery from anther truck and i had zero issue since

good luck

always try the easy fix before you spend big $

Latest posts