I received this as a gift...opinions?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Carlos Chio

Reaction score
I have a pretty good idea what direction I want to go with this, but any input would be appreciated. I specifically would like to know more about this vehicle. Any personal experiences, nuances, problems, or any basic information would help.

[Broken External Image]:

[Broken External Image]:

[Broken External Image]:

[Broken External Image]:

If you don't wanna keep it, I'll take it as a gift.:grin:

Down south really the only problems you'll have is the rubber body bushings and brake hoses being dry rotted. Everything else should be fine. Now if it were up here it would be completely rotted out by now.

I'd leave the exterior in the same condition it's in since there's no rust, bag it, leave those wheels and tires on it and take it to shows for everyone to appreciate it in the original great condition it's in. Just me though.

You definetly got a gem there man, wow. :banana::eek:nline::supercool:

Thanks Jerry, I was truly appreciative of the gesture when I got the keys tossed at me. It caught me by surprise. I kinda do like that raw look. It was either that or a deep satin blue and lowered on 18" anthracite mustang bullits. I am not sure about bagging it. I am working on a military man's paycheck. I am probably gonna replace the front suspension with a front end off a Crown Vic Police Interceptor. I still haven't decided on the rear end.

This is my ol' guy. He's a 68 F250, with a 390. I love it!! I like the "raw" idea too. That's what we are doing. Replace the seat, get it mechanically sound and drive the heck out of it. So far we've replace the carb and the rear brakes and some of the badging. Roaming the pick-a-parts is a great way to spend a saturday morning.

[Broken External Image]:

We emailed the link with our VIN number and they sent us the original specs of the truck.

Thanks Lori. I will send the VIN to that site. Carey, it's 2WD. I don't think I wanna go up with it. I 'd much rather go down. Rodger, I intend to keep a photo log of the progress. Thank you all.

I also agree with the raw look. Build that motor, get the suspension nice and sharp, and remove the headache bar. Oh, and put the floormats on the inside.:grin: I would like to see this one come along.

My 79 302 auto was a great truck... $600 and it lasted me 6 years before I blew it up.

[Broken External Image]:

Last edited by a moderator:
Man, they sure don't make 'em with that kind of character anymore.

IMO, leave the paint, fix everything else up (suspension, engine components, etc.) so that she drives nice, then raise the bugger - not too much - 3" maybe, put on some meaty tires. and have fun!

These were built Ford Tough. Shaun, as much as I like a well built, lifted classic truck, I also believe that no one should lift a 2WD truck and inversely lower a 4WD. This one happens to be 2WD. I do like your and Jerry's idea to leave the body as is. But, yes, the immediate objective is to make it roadworthy.

Years ago I purchased a 77 F150 with a 351 in it. I had it bored .030 over, dropped in a 400 crank and rods, and made a 400M out of it. Has a C6 in it. LOTS of torque and power. Will smoke the tires until you need new ones.. Gave the truck to my dad for a birthday present. Yours has the 302 which is a good engine to work with.

Here are some things I came across.

1: While working on it, if you have to have the hood off, cover the engine with a KNOWN good tarp if it will be outside. In my case, the tarp had a small hole in it that happened to line up with the air cleaner assy, and I ended up with water in the cylinders.

2: Even with the hood on, water can get into the factory air cleaner. Thus the rubber strip between hood and firewall area. (Yes, I had this happen TWICE and ended up pulling the engine again) To be sure, cover it well!!!

3: If you have the engine out, do everything you need to do under the hood while its out. Heater core, heater hoses, AC lines, etc... Also, Install the plugs before you stab the engine. There is little room to work on the passenger side while the engine is in it.

4: Check Ball joints, King pins, etc.. as you would with any truck, but especially the drag link & Idler.

Good Luck, and let us know how it turns out.

Latest posts