I love my ST but...

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Frank Zabski

Reaction score
I bought my 07 ST Limited V8 off lease with 36,002 miles 2 Novembers ago. I have 72k on it now. I absolutely love the truck. It's everything I need, want and I think it is a great looking truck. I don't beat on it at all. I do tow a small 18" bass boat a bunch.

That being said I have had what I think is more then my share of issues with the truck. Nothing that has stranded me but it's concerning.

1. Front bearing had to be replaced

2. Rear end had to be rebuilt

3. Coil for one cylinder went bad, had all plugs replaced and two broke off in head

4. Had manifolds and studs replaced

5. Have bump problem on and off

6. Radiator has started to leak

7. At highway speed truck has a slight shake to it - had wheels balanced numerous times, new tires, etc.

Am I being sensitive or is this something of concern?

The optimistic side of me says that I got all the bugs out and she will be fine...

The pessimistic side of me says maybe I should dump it for a newer model...

Sounds like the owner who had before you probably didnt take care of it to much never know. And sometimes you might of just bought a POS truck or either the truck came faulty from the factory. That happened to me with alot like new atv's i bought. They start becoming a money Pit. before the truck gets a bunch of miles i would trade it in for something else before something bigger goes wrong.

The truck seemed mint from all angles, I even had them put it on a lift, etc. The best thing I did was buy the extended warranty which has covered 90% of the repairs but again, just seems like I got a lemon...I still have three years or 30k left but I think when that expires I might send it to the pasture...again, I love, love the truck...

Frank,

I too have the 2007 V8. Now @ 65k

1 - Right side manifold replaced due to broken studs. Left side starting to make some noise when first start up. 15 seconds or so & it sounds normal.

2 - New radiator due to a leak. Seam split

3 -On & off bump in the transmission. Not as bad as before the TSB was done.

4 - New (Low) 4WD Electronic switch replaced.

5 -Seems to have a slight skip when up to highway speeds & slightly excelerating.

I really love the truck & I do tow often 19' Boat , 8' Utility trailer, 12' Cargo trailer & a 12' pop up with slide out.

Maybe all the towing is taking it's toll on it. I think I will be replacing the truck in the next year or two with a full size pick up, but really do like the size & features of the ST

Transmission fluid changed

New fuel filter

Maintaince items - oil & filter changed every 5000 mile with Motorcraft synthetic blend

4 new rotors & pads @ 58K

Air filters etc

All in all its been a good truck. Not near as bad as the last abortion I owned - 2000 S-10 4dr blazer. Nothing but a headache from day one.

Hate to say it but I'm leaning towards trying a Dodge 1500 Hemi next time.

Time will tell

Don

Good feedback Don, it's not just me...Ya, my rad just started leaking couple days ago. Have a new on in the garage just need to install it...it's really not that bad but I can't live with it if it's not perfect...

A four year old truck with only 36k miles and all those serious problems under the hood?

I can certainly understand why you're frustrated, Frank.

Frank,

I had the new radiator installed this past summer. It was only a dime sized leak on the garage floor each night , but I figuired my luck, it would let go @ the worst possible time.

A mechanic - (I'm not). I do my own oil & brakes but know my limitations.

Give me a table saw & a tree & I'm a happy camper:eek:nline:

Don

Frank, I've got a 2008 Limited with V8. Its been pretty good except for:

1) lost illumination of symbols on the headlight switch. Going in next week for the third one.

2) Rear brake calipers were rattling. TSB was found and they were fixed.

3) Bottom of drivers seat cushion began to have the color(leather) wear off. Replaced at my cost.

4) 5 studs were broken between the two exhaust manifolds. I payed

5) Trannie bump is not a problem with the tune from Torrie.

6) Frozen rear calipers x 2 times.

7) One frozen front caliper.

I think thats it. all in all, a pretty good truck. Bob

Im wondering is their an issue with the V8's. I havent had or heard anyone having much problems out of the V6 Gen 2, Knocking on wood

I have a 07 ST Limited V8 with 58K miles and fortunately I have not had many issues. I tow trailers regularly but I don't abuse my truck. So far the only things I have done are:

1. TSB for tranny shift issue and it is no longer an issue at all

2. Replaced spark plugs (@ 50K miles) and fortunately none of them broke off in the heads.

3. Tranny fluid flush @ 30K miles

4. Replaced tires at 48K miles

Other than these things, I have not had any issues. To be honest with you, if I experience any 4 of the 8 issues you have listed (before 100K on the odometer) I would no longer own the truck. I don't believe in purchasing extended warranties....if I have to 'purchase' a sense of reliability for a vehicle then in my opinion it's not worth owning. Just my $.02.

Bob C....

"lost illumination of symbols on the headlight switch. Going in next week for the third one."

The only way you will correct this prob is to replace the incandescent bulb in the unit.

It's a little tricky but an easy fix. Pick up an identical 12V LED at radio shack , install

it and it will last forever.

Last edited by a moderator:
Unfortunately, and many will disagree but I don't give two sh!ts, it seems to me that the ST is engineered for good, major maintenance-free reliabilty through about 36k miles, and not much more.

50k and above you start to have some issues, 72k and above you start to have more issues. Nothing lasts forever and the engineering and attitudes that went into the ST to me seems more towards a vehicle built to make the first owner happy until it is paid off.

TKR

I have seen more members with '07s with ptoblems. The was the first year for gen2. From what I have read on the board. The '09 and '10, were better units.

If you like the trac. I would consider finding a certfied '09 or '10...

I don't see anybody complaining about their 2010 V-8's, were the issues fixed? I've got 44k miles and not a single issue yet (knock on wood).

@ Frank....

Those are all problems that other people have complained about as well.

I had to get a new hub and bearing assembly at about 40,000 miles.

No rearend problems yet but I changed the lube at 30k and 60k, transfer case lube also.

Mine has just started with the dome lights coming on by themselves, which a few other people have mentioned.

I have a 2008 V8 Adrenalin ("Nocturnal") ..I bought it with 48k on it and it now has 75k. I just put a new battery on it and at 61k had a new radiator installed because of a leak.. thats all! To my knowledge it's never had anything else done to it. Although now with it having 75k I have wondered about the plugs, fuel filter, etc. It's never had the "transmission flush" or the fluid changed. I've been told if it's not broke don't fix it.. or change it!

An old(er) Buddy of mine told me once, "If you're looking for perfect friends your going to be awful lonely"

Same goes with my truck...There are more things that have gone wrong with it then I'd like but overall it has been reliable...I've have traveled all over the East Coast and numerous trips up North with no issues ever...I've also been on top of things before they went south...

I changed the radiator today and no issues. It took about 3 hours of being very careful and following the shop manual. It seems like this leak has been for a while but until I filled the expansion tank up I never noticed it leaking out at the leak seemed to come right from the top corner which was good because once the water level got below that it did not leak - at least that is what I think. Changed the thermostat while I was in there. Next...

Latest posts