I lost my only set of keys !!

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I went shopping yesterday and misplaced my keys.. No one has turned them in or anything..They were the only set I had therefore I can't drive my ST anywhere..I called local Ford dealer and they said the only way to get a new key is to tow my truck there... Well, I don't know how I will be able to cause I can't put in neutral or anyting.. Is there any other way that I can get a key programmed for it...I know I am an idiot for not having a duplicate copy of it.. Well.. I didn't drive ST there so its in the carport.. did I mention I lost my purse and it had my license and everything.. so I had to take my battery out cause people can't be trusted..If any of you have any suggestions... Please post.. cause this is causing me alot of stress. :(

I'm afraid your at Ford's mercy. That's why I bought a 3rd key off ebay a while back and programed it, just in case I lost one of the 2 original keys. Unfortunately you have to have 2 working keys to program a 3rd. Without any keys Im afraid it can only be done at the dealer.

Well, I don't know how I will be able to cause I can't put in neutral or anyting.

Do you have a AAA membership? If not, you'll have to call a local towing company, who will likely use dollies on the rear wheels and tow it (I cannot imagine them dragging it onto a rollback).

Good luck.

You will have to see a dealer or a locksmith. NO OTHER CHOICE. Ford requires 2 keys for any and all programming. To add 2 keys you have to program the master and then add the second. If you have 2 keys, then programing the 3rd key is simple onboard programming. But you have to have 2 keys to do that. Since you have 0 key, the dealer here charge would be @175$, plus $100 towing fee and give them your truck for a day. Total of @ $275. Me,, I'd charge $150-175 and come to you, then have it done in 20 minutes..... AND you would have 2 keys... An extra key would be another $40. Hope this helps ((EDIT::)) )( In the Sumter SC area :D)(thanks Tom:eek:)

23ballistic: giving them you vin # will only let them get the key code. Can't program the keys without the truck.

Last edited by a moderator:
That's pretty gracious of you Larue to offer to drive from SC to TX and take care of her for $150-$175. I'm glad someone has the christmas spirit. :rolleyes:

I have an 07 ST so I assume this applies to mine as well. After reading this thread, i'm going to be proactive and get a 3rd key. This is what I understand the process to be along with some questions.

1. Obtain a key blank. It sounds like eBay is the best source. What do I search for on eBay to get the correct blank?

2. Have the key cut/duplicated by a locksmith to work in my lock cylinders.

3. Program the key using my 2 original factory keys. Are the steps to do this in the Owner's manual?

Any info is appreciated. Thanks

Lil Red, Your are correct in your steps. Yes, the steps for the programming are in your Owners Manual.

That's where I got mine. I think I paid $12 for it and then a couple of bucks to the locksmith to cut it for me. Great investment considering what Ford would charge to make a key. I would suggest anyone that has a transponder key to do the same.

I bet a skilled tow driver could slip of your drive shaft and allow you to roll without shifting the car. Unless that isn't possible on newer cars. Then you could have it towed to Ford.

Latest posts