I have lost trust . . . .Updated Again!

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
L1Tech,

I caught what you said in your first post and I agree with you. It really wasn't that hard to understand.

I believe in what is known as ghosts in the machine. When dealing with electronics intermittent failure is always a possibility, especially in todays mutiplex systems which controls or monitors almost every item on the vehicle.

Look guys, I'm not trying to be argumentative or a dick or anything.

I too agree that cars are complex. I also agree that they can break down, and that they can be difficult to fix right the first time. These simple facts makes for challenges related to building quality cars and servicing them reliably. Living up to these challenges is the responsibility of Ford Motor Company.

Good companies accept such responsibilities. Great companies welcome the difficult challenge. My favorite "Hoosiers" quote goes something like: "When the game is on the line and the clock is down to the last few seconds the GREAT player is the one that wants the ball." Great companies want the responsibility to deliver on the difficult challenges.

I don't think ScoTt is wrong in his feelings or his expectations. I don't think they are misplaced, either. Ford dealer service centers are representatives of Ford. If they F' up a repair, then it is completely within reason for someone to lose some trust in Ford (FoMoCo).

The way I see it is if the fry cook at McDonald's puts too much salt on my fries, or serves me cold fries, or whatever, then I can and should blame the company. The person working there is a representative on the company. McDonald's is better than just about any other company for priding itself on the "McDonald's experience", which is essentially their brand, which to the customer means you know what you are getting, the quality that you will get, and the experience you will get before you walk into the franchise. When something breaks down in that experience at one of their restaurants, I blame McDonald's...period.

P.S. I have two sons that both work at different McDonald's. They are both owned by the same person. They are both run by different managers. They both have similar but not the exact same levels of quality and service, but for the most part, they always deliver the McDonald's quality.

The day that they don't, then they fail (on that day) to meet my expectations. Will I distrust them? No, probably not...not over $2 fries served by a minimum wage employee. But if it were a $35k vehicle repaired by a highly trained, certified mechanic of a corporation, then YES, I would begin to lose a lot of trust.

TJR

I have an 07 V8 and for the past two years, I've experienced intermittent problems with the computer.

Several times; the most recent was last week, my rear turn signal bulbs burn out - or, that's what the dashboard display indicated. Either the Left Rear or the Right Rear - the blinker blinks real fast. The first time this happened, I went out and bought a new 1157 bulb to replace it. By the time I got home, the error had cleared itself and the problem no longer existed - computer issue.

This happened again several times more and I just waited it out and they cleared up each time.

On another occasion, my traction control and anti-lock brakes malfunctioned and caused a scare when I tried to stop - I got the brake peddle vibration as if the wheels were locking up. It was dry, slow normal driving - computer issue.

Again, it cleared up in a few minutes and never happened again (thank God).

I was angry but more confused by this but, because it cleared up quickly, I just chalk it up as the past. I took it to the dealer and of course, they had no clue - NOT because they were incompetent, but because the issue had cleared up and no longer existed.

Bottom line here is - crap happens - in every part of life, electronics, jobs, families, whatever.

Deal with it as best you can, if you can't control it, don't try - and move on.

Pastor Jim signing off. :grin:

ScoTt, Be sure to let us know the outcome if you will.

If you lost trust in Ford, the dealership, the mechanic, or just the vehicle itself, then I hope if they make this right, they can regain some of your trust. We allknow trust is earned, and may take a while to regain when lost.

None of us are in your situation, and we certainly cannot speak for you. This site is for all of us to comment, associate, and discuss issues (Good and Bad) with our Sport Trac's. I appreciate you voicing your opinion here and the problem you had. Once this is resolved, please be sure to fill out a "Dealer Report Card" on your experience. It may help the next person make a decision to use or not use that dealership.

Dave

Try your alternator and/or battery. GM had a huge issue with one of them going bad, especially at low RPMs, causing the traction control to go ape shit and everything else to just die. Since it only happens when parts wear out it's not a TSP or a recall, but I remember my Monte Carlo did the same thing you're talking about.

I got the Trac back this evening. They said it was the throttle assembly they replaced. It ran fine tonight. They were supposed to give me the 11 codes it had thrown last time and what codes it had thrown this time but i picked it up after the service department closed and the guy getting my keys found no paperwork to go with it. I had marked the throttle body and they did leave the replacement in my truck.

I really have no issue with the way they handled the problems. If it threw 11 codes I can understand that might confuse what might be the root cause. They communicated with Ford and i feel they were honest with me when they called to give me an update.

The only issue I had is they would not let me have the 5.0 red beauty mustang sitting on the corner as you enter their lot to drive while they worked on the truck. :bwahaha:

I hope the truck is fixed as I have a 40 mile commute to a customer site tomorrow.

Try your alternator and/or battery.

Interesting you say this... in my previous post above, I mentioned a time when my traction control and anti-lock brakes malfunctioned - that WAS just before I changed my battery.

Hmmmmm?

Of course, it still doesn't explain the rear turn signal issue.

I think it all a communist conspiracy! :cheeky:

That's good news. If you don't mind me asking did you have to pay for the repairs? The only reason I ask is that it is unusual for them to return parts to the customer that they already replaced under warranty. Normally they should be returning the replaced part back to Ford for a warranty credit.

Interesting you say this... in my previous post above, I mentioned a time when my traction control and anti-lock brakes malfunctioned - that WAS just before I changed my battery.

I didn't read half of what was above, you guys talk to much.

Well, I opened my big mouth too soon... :banghead:

Looks like the Left Rear turn signal is really out.

As soon as I wrote about it several posts above, it happened again and this time, it hasn't cleared up (been 3 days). Looks like I'll get to use the 1157 bulb after all. :banana:

Oh yea... R1ch999999....

...you guys talk to much.

Talk too much? I don't talk to much. We don't talk too much. Some people say I talk too much but they're wrong. I talk just when I need to say something - sometimes I don't have anything to say but that doesn't mean I talk too much. Talk, talk, talk. Not THAT's talking too much. :cheeky:

Last edited by a moderator:
L1tech - all repairs, parts, tow, labor and rental were covered under warrantee. They returned no parts to me I just noticed, because I marked it, that they left the new throttle body on.

It has been a number of days now and its running great.

Thanks

Well it lasted two weeks this time and I had driven 400 miles away for the 4th of July weekend. It ran fine all the way up and a couple of runs to the store. We got up to leave and made two stops before heading back. The trac did the same thing where you start it, the enfine races and dies. Took 4 or 5 times and it ran ok for 40 feet and died again. It finally would run a little further, die, and i would switch into neutral, start it and move into drive. I made it back home. I dropped it off at the dealership again. They had it for almost three weeks because they could not get a pcm. I had to call Ford corp. to help move it along.

I have had it back again for a few weeks and it would appear it may be fixed. The dealer said the 60b and 61b was error from the part where the trac tries to save what it learns about your driving.

Here is the slip from the dealer listing all the codes.

[Broken External Image]:

Very interesting. I hate diagnosing intermittent issues where the root cause is the pcm. Just about all of those codes relate to the throttle system but one of them is for the intake manifold runner and 2 othere are for pcm performance...not necessarily it trying to learn about your driving. I hope the pcm fixes it. I wonder if the whole time they had it they tried another gas pedal assembly??

The world doesn't care what you want. Learn to live with it.

People make mistakes, and therefore the things that people build will always have flaws to some degree. We live in a relative universe; nobody has found Utopia on earth yet. Learn to live with it.

You get what you pay for. You also have the freedom to choose. If you chose not just a Sport Trac, but a limited edition hot-rodded version Sport Trac, then you you made a poor choice when it comes to your "never leave one stranded" priority. If it was that important to you, why didn't you do some research? You would be driving a Mercedes right now. If you can't afford a Mercedes (or any other very reliable but expensive car), then that's not Ford's fault. Learn to live with it.

There is no guarantee that life is easy.