I have lost trust . . . .Updated Again!

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scott Heckler

Reaction score
On Wednesday night I was doing 15 mph in town when the check engine came on and the traction control icon lite up and the Trac had zero power. I had to pull over to the curb. I tried starting it and it would rev to 5k and die. Had it towed to the dealer. They said it was the throttle body and it would be ready Friday. I picked it up Friday night and it ran great for the 5 mile ride home. Saturday morning I could not get out of my driveway, same symptoms. Had it towed back to the dealer. They said it had 11 codes when I brought it in on Thursday and after they talked with ford they decided on the throttle body. No word late Saturday so I will have to follow up tomorrow. This truck has run great for 31K but ford is making me not trust their work.

:banghead:

It happened a third time. See my post at the end.

Last edited by a moderator:
So who have you lost trust in? One issue and a failed attempt at a repair does not warrant trust issues in my opinion. Sometimes these can be very complex machines to repair, especially when it comes to the electronics as is your situation. It's funny how people will go to the doctor several times for thousands of dollars worth of tests to find out they have heartburn but when an automotive mechanic can't fix it the first time the customer complains all day long. The evolution of the automobile is phenomenal and hard to keep up with from a mechanics standpoint...when was the last time the human body had a major evolution. Perhaps the comparission is a bit far fetched but the principle is still there.

I'm sure that Ford will get your issue solved.... perhaps just be a little more patient.

L1Tech - I just hate to have it towed back to the deaier. Not once but twice. First time in as long as I can remember being stranded. I guess I have been lucky up to this point.

L1Tech,

Once we start making excuses for lack of quality (out of the factory or service at the dealer's shop) then that starts to say things right there.

A vehicle with 31k miles should never leave one stranded.

TJR

by TJR,6/14/2010 05:55 MT

L1Tech,

Once we start making excuses for lack of quality (out of the factory or service at the dealer's shop) then that starts to say things right there.

A vehicle with 31k miles should never leave one stranded.

TJR

I didn't mean to make an excuse for them but I realize that is how it sounds.

To say that a vehicle with 31k should never leave one stranded is foolish. These are machines with moving parts and complex electronics that have to be put through the most demanding situations by the most untrained people. Now if you can design a vehicle that won't fail under those conditions then you are in the wrong business.

We accepted computer operating systems that crash in the middle of projects. Companies hire people to work on these computers that take days to fix minor issues. They can not keep printers working reliable with the network systems.

We can all live under the idea that "nothing should break", but the fact is, things do break. That is why we have jobs.

I am in the quality field. Everything will make a bad weld. From the welder welding by hand to the most expensive robot welder "screwing it up".

It happens.

Tom

L1Tech,

That's me...foolish.

I don't expect a vehicle with 31k miles, heck, one with even 50k or 75k to ever leave me stranded.

I've had one or two that have. The one was a '94 Chevy Blazer with a POS alternator out of the factory. The dealer shop that I bought a replacement from said, and I quote: "You got 34k out of her? Better than most!", which was there way of saying they have seen this common OEM supplier problem again and again.

I understand things happen, I understand sometimes it is no one's fault. I also understand my expectations are not the same as everyones.

Still, I don't think I am alone. One of the reasons I buy a new vehicle every 5 or 6 years is so that I can have trouble-free driving and not run the risk of being stranded. I've had several vehicles have issues above 60k miles. Only two below that mark.

I think Scott is entitled to feel let down, and to feel a level of distrust.

As far as me being able to design a vehicle that won't fail. That's not my job. I design other systems that don't fail. I get paid well to do it. If I did design cars, I would design them to not fail, and I would take it as a personal insult to my professionalism when fanboys come out of the woodwork with their "shit happens", "hey these are complex machines", "this is the real world" apologies. I wouldn't feel that I need their help, or them lowering the bar.

Enjoy, and keep making apologies for poor quality. If you lower the bar, then those aiming will tend to not shoot above it.

Seriously, though, flame away. I don't have the expectation that any vehicle, properly maintained should leave someone stranded due to a mechanical failure when under warranty. That's a reasonable expectation. Maybe we are quibbling over "never", in which case, I retract it...and say "almost never."

:)

TJR

Last edited by a moderator:
I keep my vehicles many years. I expect to only pay $5,000 to drive a vehicle 100,000 miles and then sell it for $3,000. I have more than one car. So, if one breaks down, I have another to drive. With the money I save, I have motorcycles, 2 major vacations per year along with a handfull of weekenders, and lots of toys.

Oh yea, my vehicles are reliable too.

Tom

Having had the Trac break down twice I have doubt in the back of my head to take it far from home even after i get it back from the dealer. So I said I doubted Ford but it really does not matter who is at fault. The Trac will have to earn my respect again. The '01 I had I put 120k on it and it never left me stranded. Not to say I never had issues but it always got me back home. . . . I just think a two year old vehicle should not break down where you cannot drive it. Especially a $35,000 vehicle. I do not think that is too high of expectations.

:soap:

L1Tech,

Blah, blah, blah...talk is cheap.

Mince words all you want but the bottom-line is that ScoTt is the consumer. He has an expectation. It isn't being met. Ford let him down. He is right for feeling the way he does.

TJR

I have to ask you all...

If it was your truck that broke down twice and had to be towed, how would YOU feel about it?

I know I'd feel just like ScoTt.

ScoTt has every right to be upset and I didn't mean to imply that he shouldn't and I apologize for not writing my thoughts down clearly.

ScoTt has every right to be upset and I didn't mean to imply that he shouldn't and I apologize for not writing my thoughts down clearly.

L1Tech,

That was so nice you said it twice.

Thanks for posting the clarification.

I was trying to say what JustJimmy also said. I was simply trying to point out that your original post came off as apologizing for Ford and went a long way towards making ScoTt feel a little unjusified in his feelings and expectations. That's the way I read it...maybe not how you intended it, but clearly how it was read be myself and a few here, including ScoTt.

TJR

Ultimatly, what L1TECH is stating is that mechanical things can and do fail. OK, the vehicle failed, but the tech that was paid to fix it, did it wrong. You can not fault the automaker for the tech not doing his job right.

You can not blame McDonalds when the fry cook puts too much salt on the fries. You can fault the dealer owner for not hiring compitent employees.

Tom