I have an admission to make...

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dreman

Reaction score
I have to admit that at 320,000 miles, I've only changed the plugs once, at 129,000 miles. At about 240,000 miles I bought another set, but after losing one job, finding another that was rather high stress (long late night phone conferences?), losing that one, then finding another and finding instant personality conflicts, I never did get around to changing them again. I did keep up with oil changes and such, and my Trac just kept on running so well! When I finally did get into a job that was a good fit, it was about 280,000 miles, or 150,000 miles or so from the last change. And then I got curious about just how long these things would last.

Well, my Trac stumbled Wednesday morning just before I got to work, and ran poorly the rest of the way to the office. I went out at lunch and checked the codes, and it said "misfire on cylinder 4", so I knew my research was at an end at 328,000 miles, or 199,000 miles into these plugs. I carefully drove it 27 miles home that evening and finally changed the plugs. Most of the plugs looked ok, oddly enough, but one was missing the center electrode. I assumed that it was the one that was causing the miss.

I'd like to say the Trac ran fine after changing the plugs, but that wasn't the case. Late that night the last two plugs wires pulled apart, so I had to hurry and buy new plug wires the next morning, and only replaced the two bad ones before leaving for work. It ran just as badly, but it would maintain 60mph without too much trouble, so I continued on to work and put the rest of the wires in at lunch. Then I pulled the battery cable and let it sit without power until evening to reset the computer. Now it runs great again! Thank God. I was worried all the way to work.

As I changed them I was reminded of several things:

1) Most of the plugs are not that hard to get to, but the back two on the passenger side are a real pain for people with large hands.

2) The plugs aren't the only worry with that many miles. Even with boot grease at the last change, the back two on the passenger side were stuck fast, and pulled apart before releasing.

3) Even though most of the plugs still looked reasonable, it only takes one with a missing center electrode to make it run bad.

4) Just because you've neglected something for so long that it finally wears out, that doesn't mean it's actually the problem!

5) If you're going to do research like this, don't do it on your daily driver!

6) Don't neglect regular maintenance, no matter what is going on in your life. I'm just glad it didn't happen when I was 150 miles from home like I was 3 weeks earlier!

6) A new puppy that is large enough to carry off tools dropped to the concrete can be annoying!

When I bought my used Sport Trac with about 125,000 miles they had the original plugs and it was running fine. They gapped out at about twice what they were supposed to so I replaced them. I am amazed at how robust the ignition system is on these trucks.

That is amazing mileage out of those plugs! Have you ever replaced the spark plug wires?

dreman,

Say 3 Hail Mary's and take two aspirins..... you will feel better in the morning.:bwahaha:

You are just proving what I have said for years...Some people here are way to anal about things that really don't matter that much. Many seem to feel that as long as they are going through the motions and posting every trivial thing they do, we will all look up to them as some kind of immortal being????

You can only do what you can do based on your budget. It's more important to take care of your family than it is to spend money on your Sport Trac, or any other vehicle.

Of course deferred maintenance often ends up costing more in the long run, but sometimes other priorities come first....When push comes to shove, I put my vehicle rather low on my list of priorities. Others who need the vehicle for work or transportation where mass transit is not available may look at this differently.

It's all about establishing priorities. If you don't have a job, and have little or no income, I certainly can't blame you for not spending big buck$ on your Sport Trac.

It's good to know that there are a few people around here who know where to place their priorities.

...Rich

Agree 100%, Rich!

Maintenance is important, but there is nothing wrong with NOT being anal and doing it just as the schedule says, or not using the latest and greatest synthetic snake oil. Just perform basic maintenance the best you can, using parts and fluids that meet the specifications. If you exceed the recommended mileage, don't freak out. Do it when you can. Our vehicles are tough, and the minimum specs for dino oil include plenty of safety and redundancy.

Best to do what you can afford, and pay attention to how your vehicle runs. You do not need to spend great amounts of money on maintenance unless you want to.

My granddad was notorious for being cheap. He always got the cheapest tool for whatever job he needed. I recall the tiny 4HP Montgomery Ward riding lawnmower he used for over 25 years to mow his 3 acre yard every week. The poor machine pretty much ran 10 hours a week wide open. Granddad changed the oil on the little Briggs & Stratton twice a year with Quaker State SAE 30, cleaned the air filter, and sharpened the blade whether it needed it or not. He never had any trouble with the engine- it always started and ran great, and did not burn any oil. I could repeat the story all day long with the small FarmAll tractor that did incredible work, the half-ton 6-cylinder International pickup hauling incredible loads and pulling a huge trailer, etc. Granddad was a cheap ass, but he taught me the importance of basic maintenance. His equipment lasted decades, even though he used it harder than it was ever designed to be used.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, here is a picture of the plugs, and the real problem. It seems one of the plug wires shorted out on the engine, causing the miss. Apparently the computer was still able to adjust enough to allow the worn out plugs to fire!

[Broken External Image]:

Last edited by a moderator:
Holy GAPS!

I believe the sparks had to use a step stool to jump off from to reach the grounding electrode.

Yup, I found one of my wires with the same problem not long ago. It was time for a new set of Denso.

I am a big believer in oil changes. I bought a mower from a shop once, and the seller told me to be sure and change the oil, or the engine wouldn't last more than a couple of years. If I changed the oil, there's no telling how long it would last. 12 years later my renter stole it when he moved out in the middle of the night! My current mower gets it's oil changed every year.

Latest posts