I hate the noises!

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Well my engine is all finished being rebuilt, and seems to run great so far, plus i have a new unlimited mile 3 yr warranty. Now im not sure if it is because ive been driving around in a newer BMW the past 3 weeks or what, but i notice that when i accelerate there is a high pitch squeek sound which seems to be coming from the front of the vehicle. Now I had my brakes done not too long ago as well and when i press them it sqeeks really loud, this sound sounds almost exactly the same only more quiet and its only when i accelerate.

My question is, could the brake problem (lack of grease most likely) be making the sound when i accelerate also, or is this most likely an engine noise? Keep in mind the two sounds are almost identical except its about 3 times as loud when i press the brakes than when i accelerate.

Thanks for the reply

Greek,

You only have one belt on the Trac. You need to find the sound first. Nobody here can tell you want it is without physically looking themselves.

Listen around to try to locate the sound. It isn't that hard to do. If it isn;t the belt, it might be the idler pulley, thought without searching for it, I can't be positive.

Tom

Easy way to tell if it is the belt..Use a bar of bath soap and find a place where your hand is secure, from the fan or pullies (motor running). Let the soap drag on the belt with some pressure. Be sure to do both sides of the belt bc the back side turns some pullies. If the chirping stops it is the belt. If not, it is one of the pullies.

I express again do this very carfully, protect your hands. This test has worked for me for years. The bar of soap will not hurt the belt.

Holly cow that is not safe for someone who is not use to working on a motor. if you do not know a belt squeak you do not need to be placing your hand's anywhere near a running motor. no offense to any one that is just unsafe!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
bpoche...It not unsafe if you practice safety when you do it with the forthought of it is a running motor. I can think of a whole lot of unsafe things people do everyday with out the thought of the safest way to do it. If you have no skills dont do it, pay through the nose for some jerk to change everything out..

Iam 56, been tearing cars down since I was 13. Worked in industry for 36yrs. In that time I worked on many a live chemical proccess as an process control instrument tech. 90% of the time lock out tag out dont apply. You learn to think it through for the safest aprouch.The process has to be online to trouble shoot and repair.

I just saw this post after I posted mine. I am getting the same noise. It's at the shop right now, they're telling me it's coming from the transmission?

Latest posts