I Get the Dumb A&$ of the Year Award

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jeff Jolley

Reaction score
Ok no laughing... well maybe just a little

No Razzing... again gotta feeling that's coming

But I need some advice

Here goes... true story and now I need help

I'm outside this afternoon with the XCal3 hooked up to the truck. I decide to take the laptop and hook it up and check out a little data logging. I'm setting up a couple things and just marveling at the ways the engine and tranny are controlled by the ecm on the new vehicles.

Well I'm done playing so I decide to disconnect and wrap everything up

I unplug the cable from the laptop and standing outside the truck because I had the computer laying in the seat I decide to lay the laptop on the driveway ( which is a bit narrow)

I sit in the seat and disconnect the XCal from the truck and proceed to wrap the cables up nicely.

At this point my daughter comes out and says I have a call so I jump out of the Trac and go in to get the phone. Passing my wife on the way in she asks if I needed anything from Target.

My reply of course was no so I went on in and grabbed the phone, started talking to a friend and headed back out to the Trac.

Just as I come out of the door into the garage I see my wife smile and give me a wave as she backs her car out of the driveway right over top of my laptop. Now if we had been argueing, or I had ticked her off, I would swear that she did it on purpose. But I think it is the fact that it was on the passenger side on the car and she just didn't see it. I mean who's gonna think to look for a laptop lying in the driveway.

This all happened in slow motion, as I looked down to see the right front tire of her FX35 slowly roll over the key board diagonally from the left lower corner to the right upper corner and I swear I could hear each one of the keys sqeal as the tire rolled over them.

I can't quite describe the feeling this gave me:throwup:, but here's where I need help. We had alot of pictures and info on the computer such as banking and financial both personal and business.

I was able to save the hardrive and it appears unscathed for the most part. The computer however didn't make it, a total loss, no signs of life at all and I mean zero.

Is there a device we can purchase to plug the hard drive into and extract the information we need from it? Or is it possible to to put it into another laptop and transfer the info to an external drive? Any help or ideas would be appreciated.

Ok let the remarks fly, I deserve it.

Go to a good computer store and ask them to get you an external drive enclosure for your laptop drive.

They work great and are cheap.

Tom

Sorry for your loss..

As Tom says,, go to best buy and they will set you up. I have seen a couple of versions as for as plug ins, so take the drive with you. Basically, it will be turned into an external hard drive..

Good luck..

That's OK...I left my laptop out on the patio the other week. I got up the next morning, looked outside, noticed is was raining...and then I saw the laptop. All sorts of colorful words came to mind. I'm writing this from the same laptop. The only damage was the keyboard had some keys that wouldn't work. $15 later and I'm good to go!

BTW, for future references, if you have a Hotmail account, they offer 25 GB of free online storage. BACK UP YOUR DATA, DUDE!

I also left a pair of $200 RayBans on the bumper of the ST after washing it one day. Haven't seem them since.

Last edited by a moderator:
mozy offers 2 gigs free of automatic backups. It's a small program you install and then just leave it, it watches the folders you select and automatically backs them up. I use their pay service for unlimited storage, that way I can backup all of my photos. 100gigs worth.

And Caymen has it right on the drive enclosure.

I would NEVER back up anything to a web site somewhere. How do you think people lose their Identities and have their password files hacked, Pay Pal, Utility bills.

Buy an external harddrive and learn how to back it up yourself. Its really very easy in a windows environment. You WILL save money in the long run by doing it yourself, and no-one is snooping in your business. Believe me, it is very easy to hack someones info if you have it all on a server and have all the time in the world to hack-it and copy it.

Sorry about hi jacking the thread, but if it saves just one person, it was worth it.:eek:nline:

If you can hack mozys 448-bit Blowfish encryption and are going after my data you are dumb.

(not directed at YOU, but the very generic you)

Last edited by a moderator:
Jeff, since nobody has come out and said it, DumbA$$!! I'm am also going to copy your story and submit it to the Darwin Awards commitee. BC :bwahaha: :eek:nline:

This could almost work for the "plot" of one of those Mozy commercials, like the one where the dude microwaves his laptop.

Online backups are pretty nice, and as long as you aren't a self-proclaimed IT professional who tries to get services that the product never claimed to deliver. I have never had the opportunity to use Mozy, but I have used Carbonite to restore and it worked as promised, though the programs that have to run on your PC do slow it down a bit.

Oh, and you of course don't try to back up hundreds of gigs of your data, unless you are extremely patient.

Latest posts