I feel i should share -

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike Dziubina

Reaction score
Some of you may know outside of college I am an emergency first responder, i am an EMT and Firefighter. over the past month I have been called to an incredible amount of Motor vehicle accident's, most of them have not ended well for my patients if you know what i mean. i have had 3 fatalities in 2 days, and over the past 3 weeks have had many more with serious injuries that will leave my patients scared forever. on the other side, i have had a couple of roll over's where the patients were unharmed. The difference - the ones who walked away had their seat belts on, the unfortunate ones did not. i know everyone hears "buckle up" all the time, but even i am guilty of not wearing it sometimes. I just want to give you guys the prospective from a first responders point of view, its not pretty when you dont wear it. with the upcoming holiday season there are always lots more crashes and i am sure i will be calling more trauma alerts into the hospitals. But i just want to extend my experiences to all of you in hopes to keep everyone safe. please wear your belts, it really is the difference between you walking to the ambulance or me picking up pieces of you. I hope i do not offend anyone with this, but it is the truth, and it needs to be told to prevent it. i wish everyone a great holiday season, stay safe.

It's hard to believe that there are people out ther who still don't wear them!

I have to admit, I was one of them myself. When my son was born I made a few changes like wearing seatbelt, quit smoking etc. Then they passed the federal law anyway so what the heck.

Not wearing the belts nowadays is like not knowing cigarettes cause cancer, foolish.

In 1988 I hit the "reality" wall, and somehow had the presence of mind to buckle up. Inebriated enough to turn the key, proceeded 200 yards before totaling my cherished Ranchero. After submitting to the BAC test, HPD concluded I was "slightly" impaired, blowing a .28, almost dead, legally. Only injury was a bruised left hip where the seatbelt strap was.

Haven't touched the "sauce" since. Had it not been for the seat belt/harness, I'm certain I wouldn't be here today. Took out a 50 foot tall aluminum light pole, concrete bus stop bench, and hit a 5 foot diameter tree. I now have the "habit" of calling 911 and reporting drivers I spot, not wearing seat belts on the freeway. Not trying to be a "goody-goody". If I can prevent ONE person from serious injury or worse, it would be all worthwhile.

Last edited by a moderator:
Mike, thanks for the reminder! I've seen many trauma victims come to our OR over the years. It seems so foolish that something as simple as wearing a seatbelt could save you from serious harm or death. There are those we can save and some we can't and others still that you wish that the good lord will take them so they won't have to live with the consequences of their actions. I see people every day that aren't wearing a belt and just want to get out the car and smack them silly. Because I hate to work all hours of the night on some knucklehead that didn't listen. And don't even get me started on the ones who drink...I pray that each member of this website makes it a point to tell just one person a day to "click it" The life you could save may be your own. Bob

Mike, off the topic of buckling up, but I am curious as to where you have your strobes mounted? Have them in all the corners? Did you install them yourself or have them done? Thanks!

I too find it hard to believe there are people who do not use the seatbelt.

35 years ago, when you had to have seat belts (no shoulder harnesses) specially installed, I got hit by someone doing >100mph on a highway. I was doing the speed limit... I had a seat belt on because I had racing experience, and I just thought it was a good idea to have one in my normal car too. I rolled twice, and had a broken arm and big bruises on my waist where the belt dug in. The other driver(no seatbelt) died.

Since that time, I have always used the belt, and if anyone gets in a vehicle I'm driving that doesn't want to buckle up, I ask them to walk!

Everyone... Stay safe this coming holiday week!

Last edited by a moderator:
I always wear mine. But it is a good reminder, thanks.

One more thing that I notice more of this time of year. Watch the interections. In my area. I see more stop sign and red light runners. Until after new years.

The most prevalent problem I have seen lately causing accidents is people talking on cell phones. Please people, hang up and drive.

people are nuts today, i drive some of the most congested hwys in the nation everyday

have seen people on cells, people texting, people playing game boys, people with laptops on the steering wheel. women putting on makeup, steering with there knees.

I say the LEOs should bust them all, bigtime.

Mike - I couldn't agree more about wearing a seat belt. I am one of the ones who recently survived a roll over because of my choice to wear a seat belt. I was partially out of my window after my car rolled, but I was in the car, and alive.

Thank you for continuing to remind people. It truly does save lives.

I have a lot to be thankful for this Thanksgiving. :banana:

Mike:

You were at the Shelton accident I take it?

yes, i was. :(

Mike, off the topic of buckling up, but I am curious as to where you have your strobes mounted? Have them in all the corners? Did you install them yourself or have them done? Thanks!

I have 4 Hide-a-way strobes, one in each corner light and brake light. if you get them right they can provide incredible angles of light. you can actually see my front strobes flash from the rear and rears from the front. I installed them with a couple guys from my fire department and EMS corps who have done it ton's of times. I also have a whelen dual talon in the windshield and single blue talon in the rear. and additional amber strobes mounted above the rear slider window. right now my taillight strobes arent working for some reason though:angry: are you thinking of having some put in?

and thank you to everyone else for your comments and stories. glad to see/hear what all said. not too long till turkey day!

I used to work in a hospital. Would see people every day who weren't wearing seatbelts. I always wear a seatbelt. My daughter's boyfriend flipped and totalled his Jeep two weeks ago on black ice, not wearing a belt, lucky to get away with a separated shoulder. He wasn't going at all fast but if he'd been wearing a belt he might not have been hurt at all.