I don't know what to do...

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Yesterday I was dropping a friend off at his house and I noticed that all of the sudden my compass and temp display was showing "CAL".

I thought it was weird and looked it up in the manual and found out that it just meant to drive in a few circles to fix it.

Then I looked at my radar detector and noticed that my voltage was down to 13.8 v idling wear it has always been at or above 14.3 v and it just will not go back up. I took it to my nearby auto parts store and tested the battery and alternator and both came back good. So now I'm at a loss.

Tomorrow I am going to try and hook it up to another car and try and charge it a little see if it goes up and holds it.

If you count this and the odd screech at a specific range on my throttle (which I am 90% sure is coming out of my intake but at the range the fan is to loud to tell).

So if anyone has any ideas for a fix or should I just leave it please let me know.

Thanks

Zachary L.

Throttlebody whistle is mostly normal.. (screech more than likely)

Random voltage dips I would say don't worry too much. 14.4 idling would be perfect but there are variables.

Like JD said it's normal for an occassional dip in voltage, especially when you run more electronics on a stock cca battery. I up'd my battery to a 950cca becauase I have slot of different electronics on my ST. Another fix is to up the size of alternator as well. Just some suggestions.:banana:

If it holds 13.8vdc idling with lights and someother big power zapers. That still good. A good battery is 12.65vdc.

Zachary, The screech may be the alternator belt. It may have upset the compass somehow. I would have the belt looked at and reset the compass. 13.8 volts just means that the battery is up and doesn't need any more charge. There could also bee a bad connection to the compass somewhere.

Good luck Ed

i've had the throttle body whistling at me for miles and miles. It sounds like more of a whistle than a screech though, so check the sound again.

My throttle with the open conical filter. Has a progresive whooshing sound, its normal. Never had the whistle some speak of.

Latest posts