I did a bad thing...

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
sales guy's name is supervtec in ebay..........

this is the one i got. make an offer he can't refuse. I got them for $40

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=280317692991&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWNX%3AIT

the only bad thing about these is that since our low/high beam is one bulb with this kit you lose the high beam but i don't need a high beam with HID. they are a bright as the OEM high beam in all directions. that's why i was asking how much for the bi-xenon kit.

Anyone know how these kits hold up to water and mud? I get water EVERYWHERE under my hood when I go offroading.

I use the same kit in my four wheeler and utv rhino....... a lot of mud and water......

no problems yet. .(knock on wood)

Mine are from v-leds.

God things: They're digital ballasts the size of 2 zippos. Less than 5 seconds to full brightness. VERY well made and fully waterproof. The headlights aren't like the cheap ones with a halogen high beam, or the ones on ebay that are too deep to fit our trucks. The bulb actually moves when you flip from low to high. They also come with a harness that comes off of the battery and only use the factory headlight plug for a relay. Two year warranty. Very good company with great service.

Bad things: If you have a limited with the 4 line dash screen, you'll need resistors to kill the bulb-out warnings. Also, they're really really expensive compared to other kits, but I'd rather have better quality and buy them once, then save money on the kit and replace it often.

maguilar, it looks like the ones you bought were not specific to our trucks. Where they easy to install and mount in the headlight assembly?

Maguilar's ebay guy also has high/low kits, but the back of the bulb is too deep to fit the gen2 trucks. Been there, tried that.

I would like to have a hi/lo kit myself. I wonder if they kit in a gen1. I'm going to send a message to the ebay seller.

they were plug and play........the ones i got have a slim digital ballast (same as dingo)....needs from 9--16volts.

relay not necessary.... just took the old bulbs out. put new ones in. screwed the ballast to fender well insides. and turned them on.

i can post pics if you like. didn't even have to drill holes. used the head light ground screw on the driver side and an existing hole on the passenger side.

Last edited by a moderator:
really cool kit...........

you bought two of them?

one for your lights and one for your fogs.

too much money for me though.......

Andy, welcome to the wonderful world of HID lighting. I've had mine since the past summer with no problems. Its a VR kit from Germany that I got from the local truck shop. With the four line message center, I never needed a resistor. It did light up when one of the connections was loose. Mine are 6000k bulbs, this is the whitest and brightest of the HID bulbs. If you get a higher K bulb it just changes color from a light blue to violet. BC

I just saw another kit in another forum that has an adjustable ballast.......

1---2---and 3 settings.

adjust brightness so you woun't blind others when you don't want to..for $150

looks kind of cool.

I have HID 8000 kit in mine and they are really bright. I love them and cant imagine going back to regular lights. I do not have fog lights so i just have the headlights with highbeams. The high beams will blind the hell out of you. I guess im one of those guys that likes to get behind a car and blind them with my headlights

Maguilar, the fogs are $50 cheaper, 'cause they're not high/low. I also had a 15% coupon code, so regular price for both kits and the blinkers would've been $404.97. I paid $344.72. It's soooooooooooooo worth it, though.

Oh, and the other cool part is that when they make the bulbs, they align the center of the arc with where the center of the filament in a halogen bulb would've been, so you end up with EXACTLY the same beam pattern.

Bob, I've had HIDs before, but not in a couple years and I forgot how much I loved them. And 4300K (OEM color) is the whitest. Mine are second, then 6000K.

Dingo, Have you had any problems with the auto headlight function? I had a cheap kit from ebay, and one of the headlights wounldn't come on atomatically, but would manually.

Every time I see someone driving around with that crap I feel like following them and busting their lights out. Seriously, I can't stand them. They are a safety hazard to other drivers on the road. They should be outlawed.

People who say hids should be outlawed just simply don't understand. Hid bulbs are meant to be used in either a projector or a housing that was designed for Hids. If you have decent enough non projector housings you can get away with using Hids so long as they are aimed correctly adn you DONT USE TOO HIGH OF A BULB TMEP. IMO anything over 6000k is totally rice and ghetto and it is this higher range that hurts your eyes when idiots who don't have them aimed properly come towards you. If you stick with a 4300k or 5000k bulb and aim them properly there is nothing better, the difference over halogen lights is dramatic. I think it should be against the law for car mfgs to make cars without Hids

I also am thinking of a retro-fit on the ST. I did my wife's Volvo S40, went to this site-great products and support.

For the St it would be $100-lifetime warranty and free shipping. The BOW harness would be another 30 if we need it.

Latest posts