I caught a Dinger today...

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tommy VanNess

Reaction score
...A door-dinger.

There I was sitting in my ST reading a book at lunch and this guy comes over to his Intrepid on the passenger side of the ST and goes into the back of his car. BAM, his door smacks the ST. I was a little miffed, but figured it was an accident, it happens to all of us. So I go back to my book and keep reading. I hear him shut his door and figure that will be the end of it. BAM!!! this time, he went into the driver door to get something and his door opened and hit the ST. This got me mad because it was obviously carelessness. I roll down the window and say "HEY!!" (This pretty much scared the crap out of him and he turned around suddenly) "Would you mind being a little more careful!!!!!" I said. He was surprised and apologized. He wasn't a jerk about it and I believed his apology was sincere. But man, I am always careful when opening my doors no matter what is next to me. Too bad not a whole lot of people have the same respect.

I didn't really see any dings, but then again I didn't look really hard. I figure it wouldn't be worth the hassle and not only that, but I have a few other dings and scratches. Oh well, that is my story from today.

Tommy

This is a pet peeve of mine. I am always carefull to make sure that I do not touch anybodys door. And I expect the same from others. I put the rubber door edge guards on all of my vehicles just for added protection. There are people out there that truely do not understand nor care if they door ding somebodys vehicle. Sorry to hear that you half to suffer because of somebody's carelessness.

Jerry

Yeah that happened to me when my ST was about 5-6 months old and i know exactly who done it. but couldn't do nothing...Damn DOOR DNGS... i look at it all the time since it is on the drivers side rear door, ARGHHHHH!!!! Danm unreponsible/careless people.

rob

[Broken External Image]:

I always park at the back of the lot, away from other vehicles. I find I keep my vehicles door-ding free for years that way. I laugh at people who drive around, looking for a 'closer spot' in parking lots - I can usually park far away, and walk by them as they continue to circle in their vehicles.

I bought my ST 2 weeks ago, and Friday on the way home from work this 16 year old kid rearended me! He cracked the plastic on my bumper, I saw how scared he was and he called his dad. I talked to the dad and told him if he paid for the damage I would let it go. Not call the police/insurance. So the plasic cover was $500 I got the cash from the dad. I installed it myself saving the kid Labor, 2 tickets and a law suit. Some times Im too nice! The next day I see the kid in the Paper hes Allstate Hocky leading is goal saves and Honor roll in school. So that made me happy I gave a good kid a break, God knows I got enough when I was that age lol!:wacko:

Once, accident or at least you give the benefit of the doubt.

Twice, the guy is a jerk and I would have pressed the issue a bit..

If there were any marks at all, he would have owned them. I am sure they would buff out, but he would have paid for the buffing...

I'm pretty good about parking way in the back of the lot with no one around me.

Sometimes some POS will park right next to me just to piss me off when I park like that.

And, I've had a few try to ding me on purpose but they would just hit the side step bars which didn't matter to me.

However, on a couple of occasions I'll still be in the car and they ding the bars. I wait till they leave the car and return the favor back. The ST doors are pretty good about leaving a nice mark on someones door.

We was at sLowes (no typo, just affection) one day and had just walked up and opened the tailgate when I turned to see the open door of a crewcab 150 swing in the breeze and graze my passenger door. The owner was on the other side of the 150 having a parking lot family reunion, they just hadn't bothered to close the door. I went up, slammed their door shut, checked out my door and met them at the back of the vehicles. The lady says "was the door in the way" I said "yes and it hit the side of my truck a little" she says "no it didn't". Well I showed her where it did and she opens her door and lets it swing again, I stopped it before it hit again, she says "see, it didn't even hit". I told her I wasn't lying about it and she needed to be more careful. She just looked at me in a huff. Her family looked sufficiently embarrassed like they had to deal with that B and her mouth all the time. I just went on. :wacko:

I was at the gas station last week and the guy behind me had to try and squeege by me and the other car because he was impatient.

As he drives by and his mirror hits the tail light. His window is down and I proceed to let go a few F bombs. He stops and gets out. I approach him and tell him to practice more patients and be a better driver. He simply said "Ok" and drove off. The tail light was fine, btw...LOL

That always gets me too...I have several places on the Trac where people have done this. I am always careful not to bump anyone's vehicle no matter what it is or how tight the space is...if it is too tight, I don't park there.

Some fool getting too close to me at the gas station was the cause of a nice deep scratch down the rear fender last summer because he had a post sticking out of the bed on his truck. At least I saw that one where he couldn't just walk away.

I always park way away from anyone else when there is room...it is always weird when I come out and there are still all kinds of empty spaces but there is one vehicle on each side of the Trac. I can't seem to get away from them....

I can't stand the people who just don't give a shit about their cars and just swing their doors open like they are the only car in the lot. How hard is it to watch how close your door is to the car next to you? I think this is the easiest thing to prevent if they just think a little . . . .

I too try to park away from everyone else.

For two reasons...one, so I don't get dings, and two, because I can use the extra exercise.

Oh, and I guess there is a third, because I have three kids and although they know not to swing the doors wide, and they know to respect other people's property, it not unlcommon that the wind grabs the door and pulls it out of their hands, etc.

Heck, that's even happened to me before. While being careful not to ding a car nearby in the parking lot of the local post office, I reached in to grab my package, and the door "knotched" open another couple of inches and hit the guys plastic (unpainted) mirror next to me....no harm, no foul, but still, I was trying to be careful, sometimes things happen.

It happens, it isn't always due to inconsiderate drivers or passengers that this happens...often it is, probably most of the time it is; but not always.

TJR

Crud--

I was hoping this was going to be someone's story about catching a home run ball at a baseball game... Sorry to hear otherwise.

Latest posts