I Can't Believe They Can't Duplicate It!

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Michael Hale

Reaction score
I've got the ST in the shop for the hard start issue that is almost certainly the fuel pump/loss of pressure issue and they are telling me they can't duplicate the problem. There hasn't been an instance over the past month or so in which if that truck sits for more than an hour that it fails to start promptly, as it has in the past by turning the ignition key. If I turn the key several times and then attempt to start it always fires right up (as stated in the threads regarding the fuel pump issue). I even offered to drive over to demonstrate the problem for them since it has never failed to occur for me. The brake pedal squeak that I posted about a couple of weeks back is apparently a fairly common problem and is associated with the master cylinder. The service advisor did mention that the mechanic did find a TSB for the hard start issue and that it did recommend replacement of the fuel pump. I told the advisor that I didn't want to tell them how to do their job but that I was suspicious of the fuel pump based on what others had posted here. Why does it have to be this difficult?

Did they let the truck sit for awhile? Even if it set in the back until they got to yours. It might have been brought up to the mechanic by a porter. The porter didnt know why it was there, and failed to communicate the hard starting.

Not trying to take the dealers side. I have been through simular in the past. It sucks! Good luck. Maybe a different dealer..

It sucks even more this afternoon. Dealer called to report it was ready for pickup. Wife answers the phone and they give her the "we couldn't duplicate it" story. I show up and am told that the charges will be $245! I've got the Extended Care ESP with the $100 deductible so I ask why the additional charges? I get the obvious answer which is "we had to charge to look at the hard start issue". I'm livid. I understand the idea behind the charge but I refuse to accept that it wouldn't occur for them when I can duplicate it every single day since Father's Day weekend. I can see it now, I run out to the garage first thing tomorrow morning to start it and sure enough it will not want to turn over. At least the acting service manager on duty says "if it does it again bring it back and we will apply the charges toward the deductible". No kidding bozo. For those who might be interested this is Middlekauff Ford in Plano, Texas. At least the squeaky brake issue is fixed.

Gotta love those ESP. Even with the regular warranty I play the "we cannot reproduce it" game a couple of times with my dealer before they fix things.

Oh, is "cannot duplicate" a Texas thing? Here in the mid-Atlantic and in the Northeast I have always heard it referred to as "cannot reproduce", not "cannot duplicate".

TJR

Last edited by a moderator:
Must be. I haven't tried to start it this morning but I'm stubborn enough to take the video camera out to the garage with me, record my attempt to start it, and then take it in with me and show it to them (assuming it doesn't start right up). I am "trying" to keep an open mind about the possibility that it didn't act up on them but man, I find that hard to believe. Even though I was quietly steaming I did see something cool when I left the dealership. A thunderstorm was passing through and as I was waiting to exit the dealership I saw a huge blue ball of light just above the tree line to my west, followed by a yellow light, then another blue light that was accompanied by smoke rising. I presume lightning must have hit something.

TJR,

I've got a few "unable to duplicate" receipts on file, myself - and I'm from Texas also.

Maybe "cannot reproduce" is a Pennsylvania thing. :p

Latest posts