Hydrogen fuel injection

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Greg Stuhlsatz

Reaction score
I typed in "hydrogen fuel injection system sport trac" on ebay. I don't see where this has been posted before? Is this a scam? This ebayer wants $848 dollars for the kit. :huh:

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-Hydrogen-Fuel-Injection-System-Ford-Sport-Trac_W0QQitemZ220163295780QQihZ012QQcategoryZ57114QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQcmdZViewItem

Last edited by a moderator:
The eBay page or feature you are attempting to access is not responding.

Please try the options below:

Try to access the feature directly from the eBay Home Page, instead of using a bookmark.

Wait a few minutes and try to access the feature again. :huh:

By installing the Hydrogen Boost Fuel Cell System you benefit yourself and your society in many ways:

Drastic increase in engine horsepower

Extreme gas mileage increase

Decrease the effects of global warming

IRS Tax Deduction

The answer to the government screwing you and the American Citizens

Since hydrogen can be extracted from water(even sea water), there is an abundant supply and it is renewable. It also does not polute the air.

As for reducing global warming??? I personally don't believe that global warming is directly or indirectly cuased by mankind.

Hydrogen is an excelent fuel and will probably be the fuel of the future. However there are a lot of drawbacks to using Hydrogen fuel now.

The most significant problem is that there a few if any gas stations that sell hydrogen. Also, you have to put it in a pressurized bottle which severly limits the range. Hydrogen is also highly explosive and flamable (ie: The Hindenberg landing in Lakehurst, NJ in 1937) The bigger the bottle the bigger the bang, and it does not even have to be in you vehiclle to kill you.

There are systems under developement that will allow you to fill your tank with water and an on-board system will extract the hydrogen and sends it to the engine while you drive. That way you never have more than few wiffs of hydrogen gas in/on the vehicle at any point in time. That makes it safer, but these systems are not ready for prime-time yet.

...Rich

As far as I know, electrolysis takes more energy than the extracted hydrogen can produce, making a water-car still a pipe dream.

Though without that on-demand hydrogen system, all cars would essentially regress into ford pintos. One hit wonders :(

Kevin,

A low energy hydrogen electrolisys device has already exists. I generated enough hydrogen to power a gasoline vehicle converted to run on hydrogen.

The process requires using either sea water or regular tap water with a percentage of salt added. The salt makes the electolisys process more efficient, however it is also highly corrosive to the standard engine parts. To reduce this problem the internal engine parts would need to be coated with teflon or some other similar armour to prevent the rust and corrosion of steel and aluminum parts.

The guy who invented the process is not revealing all the details but has demonstrated a vehicle that uses his invention and runs on salt water.

Yes there are bugs to be worked out and initially it would be prohibitively expensive, but so far it looks promising.

If I can find the article I will post it here.

...Rich

Todd,

I'm not sure if the one I read about used radio or microwaves to generate hydrogen or not. I have actuall read 4 or 5 articales about generating on-demand hydrogen in a vehicle on-the-fly.

Here is one article that shows you how to build a converted to extract hydrogen and oxygen from water and burn it as fuel for a carburated engine. I'll try to locate the others.

I did findout that one of the devices used in a vehicle used a small quantity of gasoline or diesel fuel mixed in with the water. The ratio was something like 93% water to 7% gasoline.

Actually some of these hydrogen generators go back to the early 1970's so they are not really new

http://www.keelynet.com/energy/waterfuel.htm

...Rich

That article describes using an on-board electrolysis cell to generate hydrogen and oxygen which is then burned in the engine. Considering that the exhaust is simply water, you could connect the exhaust to the water storage tank and never have to refuel. In other words, it's a perpetual motion machine.

Say an engine requires 100 BTU/second of energy to operate. Assuming the electrolysis cell is 100% efficient, we put in 100 BTU of energy to break the water into O2 and H2. At best, we can recover 100 BTU of energy when the Oxygen+Hydrogen are burned. So we burn the O2+H2 mixture in the engine. Now, the internal combustion engine is notoriously inefficient, loosing about 80% of the energy in the fuel as heat. So, at the crankshaft, we now only have 20 BTU of energy available to move the vehicle and generate more hydrogen.

Electrolysis, or any of the other methods of splitting water into H2 and O2, is not a way to create energy. All those methods do is convert energy from one form to another, usually electrical to chemical. Because the process is never 100% efficient, performing that process on the vehicle won't work; the engine will not be able to power itself, let alone move the vehicle.

Todd,

People have done it and it does not use up most or all of the energy to convert the H2o to Hydrogen and Oxygen.

While you could probably recycle the water vapor the comes out of the tail pipe back into the water (fuel) tank, it's probably not all that much water. Afterall, the engine is using much of the Hydrogen and Oxygen to burn in the engine. The water in the exhaust is some of the hyrdrogen and oxygen atoms being fused back together by the combustion heat.

Your theory assumes that it requires as much or more energy to separate the water into hydrogen and oxygen as the energy it can produce. That would make it a propetual motion engine which this is not. It can power a vehicle down the road much like any gasoline powered vehicle. Perpetual motion implies that you get one unit of energy out from one unit of energy you put in. Thus a perpetual motion engine cannot do any work.

Again, I will find and post several more articles regarding on-board electrolysis converters that have been used to power vehicles.

One uses salt in the water to achieve a salinity similar to sea water. Others use a small quantity (about 7%) of gasoline or diesel fuel added to the water. So I am not saying that these hydrogen powered vehicles are 100% polution free, but they do run on 93% water as fuel. And none of them have been perfected

...Rich

Neglecting losses and the change in entropy, it requires 285.8 kJ/mol of liquid water to break H2O into H2 and 0.5O2 (enthalpy of formation)

When burned, neglecting losses and change in entropy, we get 285.8 kJ/mol from combustion.

285.8 kJ = 285.5 kJ ===> conservation of energy

Energy must be conserved in the reaction. When you factor in losses in the electrolysis process, losses in converting the combustion products into work (heat), losses in converting the mechanical work back into electricity, there's no way a car can use on-board electrolysis without an external supply of energy.

Latest posts