Hybrid Water Heater vs. Conventional (GE)

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swshawaii

Staff member
1st Gen Owner
V6 Engine
2 wheel drive
Reaction score
What engine do you have?
V6 engine
What year is your Sport Trac?
What Generation is your Sport Trac?
1st Gen Owner
Any feedback on these new designs? Always leary of first gen models regarding design flaws, and the initial up front cost of $1700. 50 gallon capacity. GE claims up to 62% KWH annual savings on the new "GeoSpring" Hybrid Model as compared to their conventional model. Opinions or thoughts appreciated. Thanks.

P.S.- We have had solar hot water panels for almost 30 years. My current electric 60 gallon water heater is approaching 40 years old, and sealed from the elements. Conversion to gas is out of the question. Cost prohibitive, and way too much plumbing to make it feasible.

Last edited by a moderator:
Get one of those endless hot water heaters. Super efficient and the hot water is ready to go about 2 seconds after turning on the faucet. My parents put one in last year. They put in a Rinnai. Was about $1300 after all was said and done.

fmarano,

I see they have a ventless version, and my tank HW heater is almost 12 years old and therefore a ticking timebomb. It's the venting that has made these not attractive for me as I would have to change out a vent pipe going two stories (is currently galvanized steel, needs to be stainless steel per local building codes if tankless is installed; or so I am told).

With the 30% tax credit going away 12/31/2010, I see one of these in my future.

Update: NEVERMIND! The ventless models are for outdoor use only. Venting a tankless in the only "good" are of our basement where it should go, where the current tank heater is, will be a MAJOR PITA.

TJR

A few months ago we had our water heater go haywire. (Was only 4 years old, thankfully it was still under warranty.)

During that process, I inquired about the possiblity of going tankless instead. And the response I got from all four of the plumbers I talked to is that tankless heaters are great for people who live alone or with one other person in a small apartment or home. But if you have more people, who could take mutiple showers simultaneously, or who could shower while the diswasher or washing machine are running, etc. etc. etc., a tankless heater is going to cause you to have frequent hot water shortages. (Or rather, there will be plenty of heated water available, but it will be lukewarm at best, as the heater won't be able to keep up with the increased gallons-per-minute demand.) In that case, they indicated you're far better off with a traditional tank heater.

Not sure what your situation is, but if you're considering tankless, it seems like something worth considering...

Bill,

Cool...Inside or outside? Electric or NG/LP?

I need inside and NG.

I suspect that has to be either outside or vented, but if you know differently please let me know.

TJR

I am looking into tankless myself. I got the same info from companies that if you have multiple people taking showers at the same time and the dishwasher running, blah, blah. So when he got done telling me that I asked "where in the world does someone have enough water pressure in their house to even provide that much water at once anyways?"

If any of you do get one get a rinnai they are the best and have been around for a long time. One thing to consider is if you have an old house with galvanized instead of copper lines it won't work unless you change it to copper.These things are awsome as soon as my WH craps out im getting one for sure. I've installrd a couple and the people lovem.

Just be careful of what your cold water temperature is. In many parts of the country in the winter, the cold water temps are around 34 degrees for water systems with surface water sources(rivers, lakes, reservoirs). Most tankless units are designed to heat up x gallons/minute to y degrees above ambient. That's fine if your incoming water is not just above freezing, but if it is, most units will struggle to keep it warm for one shower...

Somehow though, I don't think that will be a problem in Hawaii! :banana:

Thanks Guys. Believe I may have to research this further.

Trying to justify spending four times the money for the long term electricity savings.

Latest posts