Hunting

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jose Santana

Reaction score
Any hunters out there? Just want to share my experience hunting over the weekend on Nantucket island in Ma. We had 10 guys and we shot a total of 26 rabbits over the weekend.

We left Friday and hunted friday and saturday. The beagles were pooped by days end but they were making some music the whole time. Often times we had 2 and sometimes 3 huints going on at once. The place is infested with rabbits. We got all 26 rabbits in about a 1/2 square mile area among $5,000,000 dollar homes... Wow! had some nice rabbit potpie yesterday for dinner, with a little venison tossed in too!!! mmmmmmm mmmm good!

Oh of course the wife didn't want anything to do with it! :cool:

I went hunting once. We shot three squirrels (actually the one I shot at fell out of the tree and smashed his head on a rock), and I stepped on one rabbit as we were heading back to the truck. None of us were able to get our safeties off quick enough to get him before he cleared the nearby knoll.

I prefer fishing. At least if I bring nothing home, I can enjoy the weather and drink beer. :lol:

[Broken External Image]:

Used to shot rabbit and sqirrel (and Moose too??!?) in my Cali back yard with an air rifle. Now that I have some real high-power toys, I havn't killed anything but paper and steel.

I got a 6 point last season. This one confirmed what I had heard, does taste better. [Broken External Image]:

Nice deer. Am presently working on an african plains game hunt. Once in a lifetime deal.

Anyone have suggestions or been there done that?

Last edited by a moderator:
Sounds like a pretty good outing. My friends and I haven't been out for a couple of years for small game hunting. We have talked about it but haven't been able to get everyone together due to work, etc. Still hunt Deer and Turkey every year though. They are two things that we all seem to be able to do together. Never was one for rabbit meat though. But I do have to say, the potpie sounded pretty good though.

As for the African hunt Dave, be sure you get one that guarantees a kill and take lots of money for the mount. As you said, "once in a lifetime" so you want to make sure you bring something home. And also, make sure it's with a reputable company. There are alot of "Half-assed" companies over there that will guarantee the world and then say "oops" when it comes to game finding and then you are out of the money with nothing to show for it. Do your homework and make it the "experience of a lifetime"! Good luck and let us know.;)

Joseymack-

It is not too uncommon when fishing/hunting in foreign lands to give the meat to the local villages. It's a sign of respect. I am not sure if that is what Dave is planning, but it would not suprise me. Regardless, it's none of my business. At least he is going in there legitimately.

And remember, just because we don't eat it, doesn't mean the natives don't.

Wow, sorry Joseymack, but my post sounded more rude than it was meant. More of an informative thing...

Thanks for the heads up. I am doing alot of research now. Matter of fact we were in Harrisburg Pa. two weeks ago at the sportmans show and thats where we started. My friends and our ladies( 4 each ) are all going to South Africa. We talked to alot of outfitters at the show. Our original destination was Elk hunting but because of the value of the dollar and other considerations we decided on South African Plains Game. Kudu, Gemsbok, Impala and a couple other plains animals. Nothing dangerous like Elephants,Buffalo, Lions,etc. And you are right Jenn D, all the meat is used by the trackers and villagers although we will get to try some.

Sounds good Dave be sure to keep us up on the hunting.... I just missed the outdoor expo in Worcester Ma a few weeks ago.... I usually go just to see what's new.... I will post some pics - censored of course - of the hunting. Got some good ones of the catch of the day and some tired hounds sleeping before we could even get them back in the cages.... We had to keep the dogs in the truck all night and we thought they would be noisy. They did not make a peep all night!

I have yet to hunt turkeys but one of these days I will, lord knows I flush a billion turkeys at a time while deer hunting.

I fish quite a bit too..

The other 5% of my time if between work and my family.. :lol:

I love hunting!!!

Here's a deer I was able to shoot in Canada back in 2000.

[Broken External Image]:

Here's a buck my father got last year in Canada:

[Broken External Image]:

And of course, the fun getting to the hunting spot!! :) (florida)

[Broken External Image]:

Last edited by a moderator:
A hunter and his friend were sitting in a tall tower stand near a highway early one cold opening morning. Suddenly, a huge buck walked out over the corn they had spread in the senderos with a tailgate feeder. Moving quickly, the hunter carefully aimed the scope on his rifle at the unsuspecting buck. As he was about to squeeze the trigger on this deer of a lifetime, his friend alerted him to a funeral procession passing slowly by down the highway.

The hunter pulled away from the gunstock, set the rifle down, took off his hat, bowed his head, and then closed his eyes in prayer. His friend was stunned. "Wow, that is the most thoughtful and touching thing I have ever seen you do. You are indeed the kindest man I have ever known, and I feel lucky to call you a friend."

The hunter shrugged. "Yeah, well, we were married for 35 years."

I do quite a bit of hunting, can't get enough of it! I hunt mainly caribou, moose and bear, but I do a lot of small game hunting for parka squirrels, ptarmigan and grouse. I mainly bowhunt, and just picked up a new Mathews Switchback XT. I'm getting excited for grizzly season which opens up in March, but the bears should be up by mid May. I'll be bowhunting them the last week of May.

I went hunting once. Killed a deer the first day and that was enough for me. I did not enjoy hunting as much as I wanted to. It just wasnt my thing.

Fishing..on the other hand...

Tom

I hunt and fish avidly

deer

pheasant

ducks

geese

grouse

trout (brown,rainbow,brook, steelhead)

it keeps me and the trac pretty busy

here is my prize catch from montana, 26 inch rainbow trout

[Broken External Image]:

Nice trout.

I havn't been fishing since summer of 1998.... wow, that's a lot longer than I thought it was.

Sad since I grew up across the street from a large lake (fishing EVERYDAY during the summer).

I will be attempting to go deer hunting this year for the first time.

Will have my choice of rifle to use:

M59/66 SKS (7.62x39, a bit small but will work)

M44 Carbine (7.62x54r, ballistically equal to 30-06)

M38 Mauser (8mm, yeah baby)

K31 Carbine (7.5x55, need to find softpoints)

M1 Garand (30-06, will be ordering this monday from CMP)

20GA Shotgun (for slugging)

.40S&W or .45ACP on the side, just in case.

Latest posts