Humanity is not Dead....

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nik Hoffman

Reaction score
So I have realized that there really are good people out there. I remember a post on here from awhile ago from a guy that was going around helping neighbors and friends just for niceness sake. So here is my story, I got my water bill, $358!!! Up from a normal $135ish and was told by the water company there was a leak, do ya think?? 19000 gallons to 56000 gallons, so where to start??? I had the water co come out and verify the meter was read properly and while in conversation this past Friday with the meter reader, he offers to come out and help tackle the issue. We started at 830 this morning, digging up by the house. Through listening, we determined the leak was closer to the house as opposed to the meter. After 2 hours if digging, we found it, the main water line, at the foundation had cracked. A trip to Lowes and about an extra hour later, it was repaired!! I offered to pay for the assistance, he wouldnt accept, I offered to buy lunch, still nothing. I did get him to accept the 2 copper line cutting tools I end up having to buy for the repair. Just a really nice guy, offering to help out and not expecting compensation and not really accepting it either. I never had a complete stranger offer to assist in a repair of this magnitude and not expect anything in return. It brings back my belief in humanity and hope to be able to do the same for someone in the future.

thats good nik. I do the same for the old folks in my hood, what go's around comes around.

i sleep very well at night.

I really do believe that too, what goes around comes around. I just never figured a complete stranger would offer assistance, I have had friends/family offer before, but have to wonder with some of them if it was just because or if they felt obligated to do so.

I had to replace my whole 50yr old line a few years ago. Bill jumped from $30 to $85. The city took the excess charge off my bill, because of the leak.

You do reap what you sow.

It is nice to hear that someone that had no obligation to you or the situation steeped up and helped you out.

Does not happen often enough anymore.

Had something similar many years back. My wife smelled gas. Now, my wifes nose can smell 100x better than any bloodhound. I don't smeel a thing. She thinks I am crazy, so we call Washington Gas. Guy comes out, doesn't smell it either. Grabs his fancy sniffer, cant pick up anything. My wife now calls us all crazy. So he grabs the good ol standby, a bottle of soapy water. Sprays the main line to the stove. We wait.....wait.....wait, there it is! A tiny little bubble pops out.

I ask the guy if he could fix it, he says they don't fix, they just locate, shut off, and make safe for future repairs. I tell him I wouldn't know where to begin. He says he may have some extra tubbing somewhere in his truck. Sure enough, he comes back with just enough tubing, fixes it, and doesn't charge us a thing. He wouldn't take anything either.

I think he was more impressed with my wifes nose than anything!

Latest posts