Hub Replacement and Full Brake Job

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

A K

Reaction score
Thanks to Todd for the quick replies earlier. Your help is reflected below.

Basically, my front right wheel bearings are shot, and the shop told me I need brakes and rotors on all four corners to pass the yearly inspection. So, I am ready to order the following from Rock Auto. If anyone has ordered the same, please feel free to chime in with comments/suggestions on the install. It's the first time I'll be doing the brakes on the ST, but I've wrenched enough on it already as well as read through the shop manual and watched a few how-to's on YouTube (for a 1997 Explorer with front and rear discs, but the suspension has changed so little since then) that I feel it'll be a breeze. Time consuming, but still a breeze.

1 Timken SP450202 Hub Assembly @ $123.99

2 Wagner BD125721 Front Rotors @ $95.58 (total)

2 Wagner BD126031 Rear Rotors @ 73.58 (total)

1 Wagner QB833B Front Ceramic Pads @ $36.79 (2 pair)

1 Wagner MX667A Rear Semi-Metallic Pads (Phenolic Caliper) @ $31.89 (2 pair)

1 Wanger QC667 Rear Ceramic Pads (Steel Caliper)* @ 29.79

* Just in case; I will return one or the other rear pads.

Total is $391.62, less Rock Auto 5% is $372.03

Shipping is a whopper @ $53.72 for a grand total of $425.76. However, Wagner has a $30 rebate for a front/rear brake pad purchase, and I will return one of rear pad sets, so the net total is about $370.

The shop wanted approximately $1,200 with labor to do it all. Assuming all goes well, I can't imagine ever not doing my own brakes again.

Last edited by a moderator:
Adam,

I will chime in. I like your good positive attitude. I know you will, "Git-er-Dun",,,LOL

Its a good feeling knowing that, you can do some things. For less than half a shop cost.

Brakes, especialy disk are fairly straight forward.

Be sure and open the bleeders when pushing the caliper pistons in. Gets the old fluid out and you can feel if there is any resistance on the pistons. If there is it might call for rebuild or replacement of the caliper. Make sure the master cylinder doesnt go dry in the proccess. Keep the air out of the master cylinder and the ABS module.

Good luck:supercool:

You'll also need replacement hub nut, which I bought from the Ford dealer. It comes with a washer. Cost was roughly $20 each.

You'll need a can of brake cleaner spray. I'd recommend bleeding your brakes, and for that you'll need a big can of DOT3 brake fluid. For those two items, add another $10.

As you consider your total cost, remember that you might need more tools. I don't know what you already have, but the giant socket for the hubnut isn't something in most toolboxes. You'll need a 1/2" drive wrench and 'breaker bar' and torque wrench, if you don't already have them.

but the giant socket for the hubnut isn't something in most toolboxes. You'll need a 1/2" drive wrench and 'breaker bar' and torque wrench, if you don't already have them.

Got 'em. Torque from working on the rear suspension, breaker as a hand-me-down from my grandfather (with the old MAC logo and all), socket from tractor supply (largest I had was from a solid axle trailer hub I resealed, and a little too small), and a hub nut because I read the project here and already picked one up.

Bleeding is the only thing I probably won't do myself. When I take it for the inspection, i'll likely have them flush the system. I know the margin for error in brakes is slim, but I can work within those confines. The fluid is a little more tricky.

Thanks for the replies, guys. Every bit helps!

Adam,

The local parts store sells the hub/bearing for $59.00, or so. Rotors are about 30 bucks.

The expensive rotors you got are made in China. Put the cheap ones from Car Parts Warehouse, and so far they work better than the Chinese NAPA crap. Have over 10K miles on the bearing and they work fine.

My days of buying name brand parts that are no better than the junk parts are pretty much over.

Tom

Tom,

Timkens are now made in China?

Argh.

Are Moogs, too?

I do my best to support domestic manufacturing, but it's so dang difficult anymore.

P.S. Congratulations to your wife and you. :)

Latest posts