How to tell the model year from exterior?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
01 -03 had light grey cladding. 03 had a color coordinated b-pillar, previous years were black.

I believe 04 and up where the years color matched cladding was available.

Mike I have an '07 limited, look in my library. Might help in distinguishing the years as the afore mentioned '04 above. Or look in most of the libraries here...you might find the suspect! :lol:

BTW, I was home that night and nowhere near where the video was taken!

Mike,

I have had the Ford branded soft tonneaus on my 01, my 03, and now my 08. All have had 2 ribs on the soft cover. The 01 and 03 had snaps, and the 08 had the soft cover option of either snaps or snapless. Good luck catching the culprit. I can take pictures of my cover and email them to you tonight if you wish as I have my ST with me at work.

Rod Helstad

ARFF Fire Chief

Sloulin Field Int'l Airport

Wow cool! I don't think we have ever had a real "who dunnit" mystery on here! :)

Mike,

Good luck with the investigation, hope you get your man..or gal, and hopefully it's not a member here. That would be a drag.

Seeing that the exhaust of the vehicle in question dictates that it's an '07+, this comment isn't really relevant to that case--but regarding the ability to discern years by exterior visual observation....

Back when I got my '02-1/2, I had one of the first units shown on this site with:

a) black step pads on the otherwise-gray back bumper and nerf rails

b) automatic headlights (with the sensor hanging down below the rear view mirror.

So if a vehicle has either of those, it's either newer than mid-year '02, or it's been modded.

did anyone ever think this was a "real" post ?

i have my doubts :unsure:

i don't know of any law enforce member posting a question on a website to help solve a crime when they have other specialized resources at their hands.

Last edited by a moderator:
Let's say it's an '07......what advantage would that make when there are prob several trucks of that year that could be in that area? :wacko:

Latest posts