How to keep it running GREAT...Low bucks.

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Doug Higley

Reaction score
Limited budget (very) but I want to keep my Trac in top running condition...so I have to choose what MUST be done in preventive maint.

Currently NO problems. 2000 1st gen job 1 with 54K. Has had brakes replaced a few years ago and last year the A/C replaced. Other than that, regular oil changes and it just passed another smog check ok. The belts all look like new and there are no issues or obvious wear. This leads me to be concerned for the calm before the storm. :)

So my question is what should I absolutely be doing to keep this beauty of a truck in tip top shape. It never had a 30K or 50K tune or go over...but then it doesn't exhibit any concerns. Hope it's not too lame a question, I just don't have the $$ to be wasting on any pricey diagnostics but will do what I HAVE to. Thanks for the advice!

Oh yeah...I did replace the windshield wipers. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Well first its a 2001. Now all you do is take care of all the maintenance that the manul calls for that has not been completed (30k or whatever). Then, keep up with up coming maintenance as it comes and keep it clean!

keep the fluids changed... brake, P/S, Trans, Rear Dif, Engine, Headlight, and grease stuff with a grease injector if you can.. Ball joints, tie rods, u-joints, caliper sliders... Works for me... My '02 192,000 mile trac hasn't needed anything, except normal wear items, save for 2 tie rod ends and an alternator....

That's not a lot of miles for a 2001. Biggest thing to save money in the long run is a transmission flush every 30k. You're past that but I'd do it anyway. Transfer case if it's a 4x4. Coolant if you haven't done that already. I don't let my coolant go longer than 3 years regardless of mileage.

Made a list of the tips. Thank you!

It's a 4x2 and yeah I keep it real clean! :)

Btw; The manual went missing years ago unfortunately. I did just download one though.

How dumb is that...I still have the sales brochure but misplaced the manual. geez.

WOW... 54K miles... I WISH!!! My 01 has almost 150K on it now.

Here is what I would suggest if not already done...

(Other than normal oil changes, air filter, brakes, lube, etc...)

Here is what I would do, in this order as funds allow:

Transmission flush, filter & fill.

Coolant flush & Fill.

Fuel Filter replace.

Rear Diff cleanout & refill.

Brake Fluid flush & fill.

At almost 11 years old, i would also suggest Plugs & Wires even though you arent at 100K yet. I did mine at 90K and wish I had done it sooner.

These are just my opinion of course..

STanner: Headlight Fluid? Am I the only one that caught that? HAHA!

Dave

Yes, 54K miles is not a lot of mileage for a 2001 model, so I'm sure that's why your mainenance costs have been so low.

As previously stated, the transmission should be flushed or the fluid changed every 30K miles or sooner, so that should be done very soon.

Even if the vehicle has low mileage. rubber parts will deteriorate with time (usually in 3-5 years...emission hoses even sooner) So be sure to inspect all the belts and hoses, and begin to replace them as time permits since it's those little things that will break suddenly and leave you stranded on the side of the road.

...Rich

Thanks again all. I called the ONE mech shop I've come to trust, I read off all the suggestions from here, and he advised bringing it in for a 60k and all the things mentioned would be from $300 t0 $350 depending if it needed synthetic or not. The new Mgr there is a former Ford Svc Mgr so is really knowledgeble on the Tracs. So...it'll give me time to gather the sheckles and between now and then will get 'er done. :)

Another thing I find curious is my key still works at at least 30 feet. Must be nuke powered.