How to get rid of cigarette smell

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Anupam Routh

Reaction score
Greetings! My son bought a second hand car. Two problems have surfaced. [a] Inside of car have smell of cigarette The leather upholstery is not in good shape.

How will you get rid of the smell and restore the leather upholstery? With thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Rent a heavy-duty ozonator machine (like they use in motel rooms) and let it run in your cab overnight.

Stupid smokers-- ruined a good car... :angry:

I read if you put two containers in the back seat floor area and use 2 containers of Scope that it draws the odor into the scope after 24 to 48 hours...

Run oziom thru the pass side AC intake, also the front window AC intakes (lysol spray also works)

wash down the inside and as said above use fabreeze.

The leather will be tough. Once it is cracked, since it is dead it will not heal. Find a good leather conditioner,(from your wife's hand bag) and let it soak in. Maybe overnight in a warm garage. Later wipe off the excess. In the older thicker leather, people have had good results with a product called Hide Food, I think that it is from Connolly at Roles Royce dealers. Lexol is good. Let us know how it works out.

Good luck with it Ed

I don't hate smokers. Maybe feel sorry for them, but don't hate 'em.

I don't want to live with one or kiss one, however.

If the leather's bad enough, consider getting it reupholstered, which will likely get rid of a lot of the cigarette smell as well.

Gatorrich, if dying early of cancer, emphysema, COPD or heart disease is a price you're willing to pay to "F the haters," you're pretty much proving Gavin's statement correct.

Hey, I agree it's not good for me. I am also respectful to the non-smokers. I keep it away if I know it bothers them.

But what I don't like is the people that talk down to us smokers like we are a piece of dirt. Acting like they are better than us. Hell, I bet you non smokers do stuff that isn't good for you. That fast food burger you ate could kill you faster than my smokes will.

It is very difficult to get rid of that smoke smell. You start by scrubbing dowan all the hard surfaces with a good cleaner/deoderizer. All soft sufaces like headliner and carpet must be shampooed. Spray deoderizer everywhere smoke could have gone like under the dashboard, in the heater/dfroster vents, in the glove box, etc. Then you may still need to mask any odors with fragrances under the seats etc.

The leather upolstery depends upon how bad it is. It might be worth it to just get a set of KatSkins leather replacement upolstery.

...Rich

i bought my truck from a smoker too

wat i did was cleaned the upholstery w/ a steam vac which has carpet cleaner deodorizer as its solvent

then i got some leather conditioner and cleaned the seats and such

and of course put one of those fragrance things in to make it smell like mountain air :D

Latest posts