How to charge a Laptop Batt that is stuck at 0%

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Becker69 CO

Reaction score
Ok, I have a Dell Inspiron 6000 running XP Pro and while we were having significant house electrical work done... I unplugged it and (someone) proceded to use it till the battery went to 0 and died. (8 months ago the original battery was recalled by dell and had to be swapped out... we normally don't use it on battery since I've been out of school).

My problem is that I have been completely unable to force it to charge... there is no setting in XP (save for the battery monitor which displays charge or the 'Power Options' window to change power schemes).

How do I force it to charge? I have removed the battery, reseated it, removed the AC plug in the back, etc with no luck. TIA.... I am baffled.

Becker69 CO,

I found this place and helps me out at times. It's free and you can post the same question.

Lots of info at that forum!

list it under Lap Top support or Hardware.

Last edited by a moderator:
We have about 100 Dell laptops. Your battery or your charger may be defective, but the battery going to 0 charge should not cause it to not charge, so I'm betting that the battery is defective and Dell should replace it since it has been less than a year.

...Rich

that's what I read on that site as well. maybe they sent another defective battery when they replaced the first one. ??

Thanks... I'll have to try again to contact Dell. It was only unplugged for a day and half... then the battery was discharged to 0 through normal use. Interestingly... since I got the replacement batt. from Dell when I had gone to battery power then hooked it back up to the Dell AC power unit... I'd get a window advising me that the AC unit was NOT a dell one and that I should use a Dell one. Random!! IT was the original Dell AC power unit that came with the laptop! If any of you have a more direct route or method for me to contact Dell that may help. Again I appreciate the help Richard and GM.

Some Dell's can be tricky with their power supplies. Some require a specific power supply, i.e. docking stations. You may have a fried power cable. You can pick on up for cheap on eBay...heack, I may have a couple spares in my computer junk box.

Could I have fried a power cable but have the laptop work just fine using it for AC power? I am using the laptop as I write this. I forgot to call the service number today for the US that they have listed on their website for the battery replacement program... so when I call them tomorrow hopefully I'll know more. Thanks again.

After more than a week, I figued out how to trick my Dell Inspiron into charging the battery;

I had tried similar methods but this one worked!!

I started to boot the computer on AC power and just as it started to boot and cleared the splash plate screen and my Norton crap; I quickly unplugged the AC cord from the back and IMMEDIATELY plugged it back in and I got a message telling me that the Batt. was at 0% and it would start charging it!!

Thank you all for the ideas. So far it is running strong and charges and discharges normally.

Latest posts