How Often Do You Change Your Oil?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Peter V

Reaction score
I have an 08 ST XLT with roughly 143,xxx miles on it and am running up on my 2nd oil change since aquiring the truck. Granted, opinions will vary, but what intervals do you'll change your ST's oil at? The manual says 7500 miles MAX. I currently run Mobil 1 with K&N's Gold filter and was thinking about sticking to a 5K mile interval. With the brand of oil and filter used, I think 3K miles is too extreme with the driving I do (70% fwy).

I follow the maintenance guide and change mine every 5000 miles (using Mobile 1 and Motorcraft filter). (Check reviews and tests of oil filters - you might be surprised at the cost to performance comparisons.)

While 7,500 miles may seem long, it's what the brain trust at Ford believes will keep them from replacing an engine. 5,000 miles should be more than okay. I remember when 2,500 miles was the norm.

Last edited by a moderator:
Every once in a while. Maybe 1500-2000 miles. Moble 1 with NAPA Gold. Maybe too often but cheep insurance and I drive short distances.

Ed

For additional options, see my article on oil and filters in Maintenance section of Projects. Unless you just like changing oil you're wasting money with a 3K interval. I do 15K changes with AMSOIL Signature Series oil and the AMSOIL filter. Both are capable of up to 1 year/25K miles in Normal Service, but I stay with the Severe Service recommendation. I do an oil analysis at each change and my engine's in fine shape with 66K on it.

Vic,

I've just been going to prompto (quick oil change around here) and I've had my oil changed anywhere from 5k, to 8k miles. just running 5W-30.. Truck is at 170.xxx, should I be switching to synthetic at all?

Since I don't live in the snow belt, I have used 10-30 since I bought my '02 Trac new. I change it every 3-5K miles or whenever I happen to remember and check my records about when it was last changed. I use Mobil1 and it has over 215K miles now.

James H, 5K intervals on dino oil is about max IMO. At 8K you're pushing it, as the "house" oil and cheap filters most quick lubes use are marginal at that interval. The only way you'd know if engine is protected is to do an oil analysis. If your engine's in good condition you can switch to synthetic, but I recommend a flush product (that we have) first to clean out varnish and deposits. Any synthetic oil is going to clean the engine as it circulates; if you've got heavy deposits they end clogging the filter and putting it in bypass mode, which means the oil is not getting filtered. That usually results in high oil consumption and increased wear.

I change my oil once a year. I do use Amsoil, not because I think it is the best oil, but to keep peace with my father.

I live close to work and typically ride one of my 3 bikes to work in the summer, I am letting the Trac go 2 years between the oil change.

Tom

Vic,

Engine is solid, haven't had any problems; perhaps I will look around on your website and see if I can order a kit to do it all myself, for the new year.

How much would shipping be to zip code 04046?

I just changed mine @ 9000 miles. Used castrol syntec and a K&N filter. Sent a sample to blackstone labs. Paid the extra $10 for the TD spec analysis.

The tech said, all specs were perfect with the oil. All wear and tear specs with the motor. The metal wear materials in the oil were normal and no where close to being out of range. I made a note to the lab tech, that. I have a performance tune and run my trac hard. Also that the oil was in the trac for about 20 months.

His advice was to keep doing what Im doing, all is well. Also I could go a couple thousand more miles. I will limit it to 10k though.

I used penzoil platinum and a K&N filter this time. I heard good things on this board about it. Im going to go another 9k. Then send in a sample for comparison.

Around here I catch castrol syntec or penz plat with a k&n filter on sale, most of the time. So IMO if you use synthetic with a premium filter. You waste $$ changing too soon. As the motor starts showing more wear I might change oil more often. At this point though my oil samples are better thab when the trac was new.....:driving::banana:

Seems like many of you are quite proactive and have oil analysis performed. I think I'll stick to my 5K miles routine and at 150K miles (next oil change), Ill send in an oil sample and see how the analysis goes.

Used oil analysis (UOA) is a standard practice in industry, fleets, aviation, you name it. It saves time, money, and prevents catastrophic failures. Many gearheads like us use it too - it's the proof of the pudding as they say, both for maintaining your cars and it's very effective to have when selling one.

Once a year, or 10000 miles, whichever comes first.

Penzoil Ultra Platinum (Whoa! what an oil that is) and Fram Ultra Synthetic filter.

Twice per year, whether it needs it or not. Mobil 1 5w20 EP and Mobil 1 filter. This usually works out to be anywhere from 3,000 - 8,000 miles.

2010 Limited V8 4x4, 41,000 miles.