How much is your salary compared to an NBA Star?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
.2 Games 6.11 Points

1.54 Rebounds 8 Minutes played

You will need to work 404.76 years in order to make Kevin Durant's annual salary.

It's unbelievable that there are harder working people that don't even make dent in the amount of money athlete's make. I wish I was more talented...

I dont even watch professional sports anymore...its out of control.

My father computed it out one day comparing his company to A-Rod's salary when an employee of his stated that they should make as much money as they do...

If I can recall correctly:

the income of the company - NOT profit of the company for the year, was about equal to A-rod's salary.

A-Rod has to hit and catch a baseball...

My fathers business needs to run...

192 employee's

operational 7 days a week (-holidays) and operates 24/7

needs a 60 thousand square foot plant

in the plant needs machines, tool makers, etc

needs to coordinate, plan, and ship with companies here and overseas

needs to do a lot more, the list can get quite lengthy. but ill cut it off.

the employee's mind was changed after the convo.

Not even close enough to consider comparing.

But I am retiring at the end of this month with an annual income of over $50K, money in the bank and no bills, after a total of 47 years of work...Life is good !

...Rich

That is depressing... I work 2 jobs, (50-70 hours a week total) depending on the workload, and I would still need to work over 330 years to make the annual salary of one of these guys...

Last edited by a moderator:
Dave,

That was the purpose of my post....Don't get depressed...The money you earned is honest money that you can be proud of. These high paid atheletes will ususally blow their money on drugs, and living an extravigant life style...In twenty years most of them will be broke or dead from an overdose.

Remeber, Money cannot buy you happiness, so be happy with what you've got.

...Rich

I wanted to compare my salary to Latrell Spreewell. He said that he couldn't live on an $8 million/year salary. I think he even said that he had kids to feed and that this wasn't enough. I wonder what he's making now since no other team signed him when he rejected the Wolves offer.

Who should the profit of these entertainment businesses go to if not the athletes? I've never understood complaints against the salaries of athletes.

Its not how hard you work, its about the usefulness and availability of your skill/craft.

Who should the profit of these entertainment businesses go to if not the athletes? I've never understood complaints against the salaries of athletes.

The stadiums, for one. If a multi-hundred-million-dollar facility is needed for you to do your job, then that's one of your operating expenses that you should bear. I know a lot of people who would like to have the public pay for the expense of building their place of work, simply so the company had more money to pay both its owners and its employees...

I agree with Bill V.

Let the team owners pay to build these MegaMillion $ arenas and stadiums. That should be part of the deal to keep the owner and team in that city. Yes the Owners have to pay the city to lease the building for the season, but like the Cleveland Brown's owner Art Modell, he upped and moved the team to Baltimore when the city of Cleveland would not build him a new stadium. No team owner should be able to hold the citizens of that city hostage to pay for a stadium or arena for his team.

If Ford wants to put a new factory in your city, they may ask for, and get some tax breaks, but they don't force the city to build the factory for them.

...Rich

I agree with that completely. Arthur Blank wants new retractable roof stadium in Atlanta, but wants taxpayers to front the cost. I say the current stadium works just fine. If he wants a new stadium, he should pay for it. If an owner did pay for the stadium himself, surely profit would decrease and salaries would too, but I still don't think that is an argument that the players make too much money. I know where the argument will go when you say that if the money goes into the stadium, salaries will go down, but I don't think the cuts would necessarily have to come from players' salaries. There are better numbers people than me and that's why they own businesses like Home Depot and the Atlanta Falcons, though.

If Ford wants to put a new factory in your city

...they'd be better off using a foreign sounding name and basing operations overseas to get the land for free and 10 years of tax free operation like the new Hyundai plant in Georgia. They'd also be exempt from labor unions, political threats, exorbitant fees for "environmental damage," etc., etc.

Hugh,

You are right. The owners would not make as much profit, so to offset the expense of the Stadiums, they will just raise ticket prices

I don't think sporting events fall in the same category as Entertainment. At 64 years old, I can remember going to Cleveland Indians and Cleveland Browns football games and the average guy in Cleveland could afford to buy tickets and go to a ball game on a regular basis.

Now you have to buy season tickets in most stadiums, if you can afford them. And even if you could afford them, you can't get them unless a season ticket holder dies.

I forsee a big backlash coming where the players are eventually going to price themselves out of the market and nobody except a few rich people will buy tickets and attend professional sporting events.

I prefer college sports and even that is getting priced out of the market. Even the college atheletes are getting as arrogant and greedy as the pros.

Sports are a nice pasttime but the world does not revolve around sports. If the NBA, NFL or MLB all went belly up tomorrow it would not mean a thing to the average person and live would still go on. I think there is many more important things that we could be using our money for than to worry about what LeBron James' salary is

...Rich

If the NBA, NFL or MLB all went belly up tomorrow it would not mean a thing to the average person

I disagree. I think that's an oversimplification and underestimation of the emotional connections people make (rightly or wrongly) to teams and athletes. It's a big part of the reason politicians so frequently give in to the demands for things like stadiums--they know that that's what matters to a large portion of their "average person" constituency, and that if they want to keep their jobs after the next election, they need to give that segment of the constituency what they want.

The "average person" has been priced out of attending most events. Besides, I can watch almost any game in the comfort of my home. The joke in S. Florida is the new stadium for the Marlins. They talked Miami into putting up 400 million dollars to build it (to their 100 million) and no one will go to the games. Baseball has been a bust in S. Florida. Most of the fans are north of Dade (or Wade) County and now they won't drive into downtown Miami for a Marlins game, however they will drive to see the Heatles.

The salaries of these players are based simply on supply and demand.

If you want to lower the salaries then you need to try and convince every sports fan in the world to change a few things:

Stop paying to attend games.

Quit watching games on television which supports media contracts to the networks and therefore trickle down to the teams and athletes.

No more purchasing jerseys, caps, jackets, t-shirts, flags, bumper stickers, magazines, balls, bats, gloves, bobble heads, shoes, cleats or any other items endorsed by a specific athlete or even the team of an athlete.

Now this would obviously reduce the demand for the high salaries of players but it will also destroy a major part of the worlds economy. It is just the nature of the beast that years ago started to rear it's powerful and ugly head.

I choose limit my support of proffesional sports. This my preference because the games have changed so much over the years. I do love sports and the games of each but it is really not about the sport anymore it is about the marketing beast that controls it.

As far as college sports go, I prefer to watch them more because the players that will make it to the proffesional level have not yet tasted the money involved so the attitudes are still a bit in check. Also there are so many more athletes that will never reach that level and play the game with much more heart and passion for the sport itself.

Bill V.

I should have worded my statement a little clearer. You are correct that some people who were strongly and emotionally attached to their home tema would be disappointed. That is not so different than Elvis Presley, or Michael Jackson's untimely death. If you were a major fan of them you probably would be stunned and in shock.

My point was that the world will go on, and nobody's life will be severely altered because professional sports has died. They will just turn to amature sports and soon will probably not even miss the pro's. Surely you don't feel that money makes a better athelete? A true athelete will continue to play the game even if he does not get paid to do so, and he will be playing from his heart not his wallet.

...Rich

Latest posts