How many miles with gas light on?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scott H

Reaction score
I'm a high school student who has never had his gas tank above a quarter besides when he first got his Trac.

I'm curious about the gas light since it comes on all the time. How many miles can I go with the light on?

Also, my gas guage needle fluctuates quite a bit. It can fluctuate as much as +/- a quarter tank. Very deceiving. Any ideas?

Thanks.

i think its 40 miles. a girlfriend of mine drives like two days with hers on and i dotn even know what mine looks like. and dont ever care to see it.

I find that sitting still on level ground, with the light on. I have about 2 gallons left. I dont run it that low very often. It is hard on the fuel pump, it cools itself in the gas it sits in. Also when you got the money in your pocket it doesnt cost anymore for a fill up, than $5 here and there.

Scott, my idea would be to put gas in the damn thing.:D

Seriously though, the problem with running the gas that low is it puts unneeded stress on the fuel pump. But being a one time "student" myself, I know how money budgets can be.

As for mileage, I think it's to come on when there is like 2 gal. left in there. Maybe more, maybe less. Someone else may be able to give you spacifics with that.

As for the inaccurate gauge. It could be the sending unit is getting worn out from not having to read above 1/2 tank.:D (Sorry, couldn't resist again.) Mine isn't real accurate either. Sometimes it moves real fast, then other times it will sit at a point for awhile then drop like a rock.;)

I think mine also comes on with about two gallons left (+/- a half gallon). I can go about 35 miles if I keep my foot light.

The gas gauge needle is very inconsistent. When you are on level ground and the light comes on, as most have said, you have about two gallons left in the tank. I can go about another 30-35 miles once the light comes on before I start to worry that it's gonna completely run out of gas. Keep in mind that if you are stuck in traffic or on a highway, that the number will vary accordingly. If you are going up a hill, the needle will register that you have more gas in the tank, as much as a half tank more depending on the incline. Likewise, if you are on a downhill slope, the needle may say that you have as much as a half tank lower than you actually do, which again depends on how steep the decline is and how long you are on the hill. The way I keep track is to reset the tracking odometer each time that I fill up. That way I know that once I hit around x amount of miles (300 in my case of an 01 Job 1), it's time to fill up.

My gas light has never came on. I don't even think I have one really. I've gotten down to about 2 gallons worth of gas and nothing has ever came on to tell me I'm low.

ions, mine (2003) doesn't have one that says "low fuel" like my wifes 2005 Mountaineer, but the "check gages" light will go on if I'm low. (really low) Usually right after going down hill. I usually fill up when I'm at 1/4 tank. (320 miles);)

Scott,

My guess is it will go until it runs out of gas, and you will easily tell that when the engine starts to sputter and dies. Be sure to mark down the miles you went after the light came on, and let us know. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

...Rich

On my 2007, the Low Fuel warning comes on when the computer calculates 50 miles to empty, this happens every time. The miles to empty calculation is based on the fuel mileage over the previous 500 miles. If your previous 500 miles were all highway, you probably won't make 50 miles in the city.

Scrape up a few extra bucks and get your tank over 1/2 and then call 1/2 your empty mark. You have to fool yourself and have some self control but at least you will not run out of gas.

Believe me, I know the feeling. In high school I drove a '73 Ranchero with a 400 in it. The spedometer went one way, the gas guage went the other...quickly.

JT#14

Latest posts