how many miles after low fuel light comes on

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brett Hartwig

Reaction score
Out of curiosity, how many miles do you find you can go after the dash says "low fuel"? I drove an extra 15 miles today and was wondering if that was stupid. Should I have stopped at the nearest gas station or was I plenty safe?

I usually have roughly 2 gallons +/- left in my tank when it comes on. That will get me anywhere from 32-37 miles depending on how I'm driving. But like you, I tend to start looking for a station as soon as the low fuel light comes on.

I have gone about 50 miles after the low level light has came on. And one or two times I have, when I filled up, I had about 1/2 gallon left in the tank. So I would say you will be OK.

Not sure what ST Gen you have but on my 08, my light comes on with about 50 miles left (according to the computer calculation). My gauge itself will indicate about 1/8th of a tank left. \ Upon the next fill up AFTERWARDS, I have NEVER filled more than 18.5 gallons and I believe my tank is close to 22 gallons. Hope that helps!

Early Gen 1 Sport Trac's have a 21.5 gallon tank however I personally have stuffed over 23.5 gallons into that tank. It's really bad to use the fuel gauge as a valid indicator.

That's kind of where a ScanGauge or UltraGauge can be a big help. You can enter the amount of fuel you pumped to fill the tank and it will keep track of mileage. The longer you drive the more accurate the mileage figure will be, and the more accurate your accurate the number of miles you can drive on a tank full of gas.

I have an UltraGauge on my 2013 Hyundai Tucson, and it has an onboard computer calculating mileage and mileage till empty. The UltraGauge consistantly shows 60 more miles per tank and when the Hyundai gauge gets below about 1/4 tank it starts to stretch out the mileage. I have driven over 40 miles beyond where the Hyundai says I am out of gas (0 miles)...and the UltraGauge still says I have 20+ more miles of driving. I just won't push it beyond that.

In the end, it's all trial and error, and keeping accurate data on fuel used to fill the tank vs miles driven...just don't push it too far or you will find yourself walkin.

....Rich

Last edited by a moderator:
Directions for defining "Stupid" on gas gauge accuracy:

1) Fill spare gas container and place in truck bed.

2) Drive truck until "Low Fuel" warning illuminates. Record mileage A at that time.

3) Continue driving until truck runs completely out of fuel and stalls. Pull over to side of road if possible and record mileage B.

4) Answer is thus: B-A.

5) Put spare can of gas into tank; drive to nearest gas station and fill tank. Drive home or to nearest bar.

I allowed my '04 to get that low 2 times, as a test. Both times I had about 2 gallons left.

Im glad of that, but to me that is too close for comfort. I dont let my vehicles get below 3/8's.

Years ago I had a car run out of gas. It was showing a little over 1/4 left. Droped the tank and found one of the springs, stuck on the level float. That used to be on the nozzle's, in the day's of leaded gas. OOPS' I just told my age....:bwahaha:

I run my Trac below empty all the time. I just don't go much below the "E" on the gauge though. Ford forgot to put the "P" on the gauge, so I really don't know where it is. ("P" = push).

Latest posts