How long do Spare Tires last, when should I replace it

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Greg Jorczyk

Reaction score
I have the original Goodyear spare tire on my 2003 that has never been used. Would it still be good? I heard tires should be replaced after I think four years when in use, but not sure about the spare.

Thanks for the help

Greg

They say 6years from production date. I still have my oem spare. I inspect it at times. I dont see any cracks yet. I keep it aired.

Unless I see some deteriation I will keep it. I feel like its only a donut spare anyway. Though it is full size. Just to get me to a tire shop.

You may have a little more leeway with your spare, since you're not actually driving on it every day. But in an emergency, if you were forced to use it, you'd have to drive slowly and carefully, and then replace it as soon as possible. If it were me, I'd replace a spare that's 10 years old.

A great tip was facing the valve stem down to check pressure. Having a flat spare sucks. :cry:

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd say 6 to 10 years depending on how it looks. I've only used mine once but I will probably toss it the next time I buy tires and put one of the old ones on the spare. It will be worn but also a few years newer.

Latest posts