How do I know when the Moog Lower ball joint is pressed in all the way?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brian Thomas 2

Reaction score
Installing my new lower ball joints today and am having trouble securing the top of the hub to the upper a-arm. Was curious if maybe I didn't have the lower pressed in all the way. I was able to put the snap ring on, is that pressed in enough?

Is there a trick to getting the upper a-arm secured again? That joint just doesn't want to slide back into the hub.

If you are talking about the clamp on the ball joint. You may have to, loosen the bolt and spread it. So the ball joint will drop all the way in.

Loosen the bolt and spread it? the pinch bolt is not installed, shouldn't the upper ball joint slide in far enough so I can install the bolt?

The balljoint will bottom out when it is fully seated! If you got the snap ring on it it should be close enough. Now the top a-arm will be kinda springy and not want to seat into the spindle. I just took a heavy object "sledge hammer" and knocked it in with one hand and shoved the bolt through with the other. If you have a helper that would be great!

Well I'm about ready to remove the endlink and shock to try and get the upper a arm into the spindle (maybe it will give the lower more travel?). sucker just won't slide back in. any other hints?

Last edited by a moderator:
Opened up the hole on top of the spindle a little, and went at it from a different angle this morning. Got it. Then the driver's side went without a hitch. Ball joints and endlinks done. Now I'll have to work on finding some shocks.

Latest posts