How best to remove paint after bumping a column?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DawnVic M

Reaction score
I bumped into a painted concrete column backing out of a parking space yesterday. Now I have this fabulous thin vertical line of lime green paint on my sweet black ST. How can I remove the paint without damaging the car's finish? Recommendations are most appreciated!

P.S. And you can comment with your theories of how I failed to see a lime green column...:smile0001:

Last edited by a moderator:
There are different courses of abrasives, light to heavy. I suggest not using heavy. Go with medium.

Once you use that, you will want to wax it to bring the luster back as well as provide some UV Protection..

Aloha, If it is just the lime paint, polishing compound will remove it and leave the truck paint alone. After that you need to add a good wax.

If your paint is gone, you will need touch up. After the compound, apply a thin coat of touch up and let it cure( day or two) I wait a week or so 'cause I forget. Apply another coat and repeat the cure. Now the touch up should be raised above the truck paint. Sand with 2000 grit paper 1000 will do but be gentle. Bring it down to the surface level. You can feel with your fingers. The area will be scratched but will rub out with polishing compound. Now wax, all good again.

Good luck Ed

Great advice, thanks everyone! I'm going to take the light to heavy advice, and am intrigued by the magic eraser idea. I do have a little scrape as well, but I can live with it. I can live with the scrapes I caused myself vs. the massive ding some inconsiderate person put in my door at the grocery store.

Latest posts