Hot/Burning smell

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So for the last year, I have noticed a hot/burning smell under the hood. I started my truck after sitting a few days, and it seemed a little worse. There was a very light smoke coming from the drivers side wheel well. I moved my truck and noticed it coming from under the hood. The smell and smoke seem to be coming from around the base of the oil dipstick. There was a substance that leaked out in the area. Any idea what would be causing this? I took some pics, but I have no idea how to post them.

Dip stick tubes are removable and often have little "O-ring" seals. They are also prone to rust on some vehicles. You probably need to check the dip stick tube and seals, as well as other places for oil leaks.

...Rich

If its a 1st gen sport trac, check the pcv valve on the back of the drivers side valve cover. I thought my oil pan was leaking when found oil on the bottom part of my pan. Come to find out the seal was broken due to a plugged and backed out pcv valve. Oil ran out around the pcv and down the side of my engine for months...smells horrible when its burning off a hot engine. Cost me less than ten bucks for a new valve and an hour's worth of time to fix it.happy hunting!

Latest posts