Honest mechanic

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mark K 2

Reaction score
Brought the ST to my mechanic for a rear brake job because the Ford guys said they needed replacement. He pulls the drums and says the shoes are fine and only halfway used up. He put everything back together and sent me on my way.

Not bad for 115,000 miles on the original rear brakes.

one of us needs to change their name. lol

Good to know there is still some honest people in this world. I had a mechanic the other day quote me 1,300 to do ball joints. Did it my myself in 4 hours for like $175 with upgraded moog stuff.

Just had my alignement done in NJ at an STS Tire and Auto. $90, but I must say that they did a good job and spent alot of time on my passenger side with the camber bolt, which they said probably had not been touch in a very long time.

Funny, but had end links and camber done about 8 months prior, with a wheel alignment, guess they didn'd do a very good job back then. Oh, did I forget to mention that I had to replace an endlink myself 6 months later cause the crap they used just fell apart.

Honest Mechanic??? Isn't that an oxymoron? Those two words do not belong together....Kind of like "Political Leader"?, or "Semi-Boneless"?, or Jumbo shrimp.:bwahaha:

In all honesty, most mechanics are honest but are under pressure by the shop management to generate sales. If the shop does not make enough money, the mechanics are often the first people who get laid off.

If the Mechanic did not pull the brake drums off, he probably does not really know if you need new brakes....That's just a suggestive ploy to get your to authorize the work and they rarely write down that you need rear brakes. If you agree they will put "Customer said replace rear brakes", and that's what they will do, because you asked them to.

Kind of like you take your car to a shop because it might be running a little rough. The standard reply by the mechanic or Service Writer is "You probably need a tune up", without ever looking at the car. You say, OK and sign the work order that says "Tune-up". Later, you pick up your car, pay several hundred $$ and it runs as rough as it did when you came in.

You complain, but the a different person or the shop manager will point to the work order and it just says your requested a "Tune up". That's why you should only agree that the problem be fixed and not pay for the mechanic's or Service Writer's misdiagnosis.

Of course you are always better off fixing it yourself if you have the tools, the know-how and the time.

PS: Some of it is just incompetency on the mechanics part. Often times they don't even know much about your vehicle nor have the equipment to properly diagnose the problem, or if they do have it, they don't know how to use it or interpret what it's telling them.

...Rich

Last edited by a moderator:
l1tech,

Yes, I agree that Military Intelligence often appears on that list of oxymorons, but I did not mention it so as not to offend anyone here who may have served in some capacity in Military Intelligence, as did I.

A while ago I took my Trac to the local alignment shop I use. It drove fine and the tires were wearing fine but it was over three years old and I figured it was time. Dude puts it on the rack, hooks all the laser stuff up to the wheels, looks at it for a minute, takes all the laser stuff back off, drives it off the rack, hands me the keys and says, "It's all in spec. No charge." :driving:

Latest posts