Honda Ridgeline, MT TRUCK of the year

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mine's not tricked out or anything like that. Just a silver RTL, with sunroof, XM radio, Navigation, leather interior, etc.....besides I haven't taken any pictures of it yet. I will when I add the tonneau and running boards.

The Ridgeline is a half ton truck...Right?

It tows half of that of a real half ton truck. Honda calls it a half ton truck, where are the real 1/2 ton truck numbers?

What is the bed capicity of a RL? 1500 LBS?

The Sport Trac is designed to tow 5300 LBS, 300 LBS more then the RL is designed to tow.

You got us with the HP, but those numbers can be really subjective and does not make a truck, that is lacking in so many other ways, "Superior".

The RL has more HP then our motorhome does. It only has 240 HP. Load a RL to a GVW of 17,000 LBS and lets race. I bet I will win.

Tom

Bed Capacity 1610 lbs. I'm not a Rocket Scientist, but I believe that is over a 1/2 ton (Greater than 1000 lbs., is it not?)

Yes, the ST is rated to tow 300 more lbs than the RL.

Yes the RL has 45 more HP than the ST.

I am not comparing the RL against a motorhome. I am comparing the RL against the ST......and going back to my original point.....which all you ST owners seem to be spewing over and over again.....If the RL is not a "real truck"....and if the RL is more powerful/has more HP, more torque, has about the same towing capicity, is taller, wider, and has more ground clearance than an ST....again...if I lost you.... If the RL is not a "real truck", then what is an ST? Simple question, I think.

Last edited by a moderator:
Payload on the Trac, mind you that it was designed 4 years before the RL was, is 1600 LBS. 10 LBS advantage is significant for you

Compare your RL to the new Trac. V8, more HP, more torque, higher towing, higher bed capacity. It isn't fair to compare something that is essentially 5+ years old to something brand spanking new.

Lets compare apples to apples. Compare the RL to a real 1/2 ton truck from Ford, GM, Dodge, Nissan, or Toyota. The advantage is clear. The RL is a 1/2 ton truck, but by defination only. The real numbers, the ones the real players use, is much more then the 1/2 ton truck Honda envisions. The ones I listed above call thier trucks "1/2 ton trucks".

Tom

:lol:
Society of Plastic Engineers 2005 Grand Award (composite inbed trunk)

Seeing as how the Trac was FIRST PERIOD with this innovation, I'm sure the SOPE evaluated the cRL to determine the actual plastic content of the vehicle, they thought it was over 90%.

Far as I can tell, the two trucks are in the same class (2005 ST 2006 RL) on paper.

ST is based on a truck (ranger) cRL on a Pilot ROFL. :lol:

The press are Honda whores, it's true. I've gone through a few references and all the spec numbers change from article to article.

The only true fact I've found is that Honda purposely marketed this thing to be ugly. See, what one person finds aesthetically pleasing, another does not. It's a 50/50 market and better to be on either side, than diluted right in the middle making no sales. So basically Honda said "we're not going to go after the same people that buy Ford Trucks, we're going after the people that have no good taste or sense whatsoever".

I hear they're only making 50,000 of these, good job keeping up the demand and price for the idiots that would buy one. I know, I've seen them first hand, they're idiots. Every one of them. Yup. Idiots. Don't worry, we know you aren't a rocket scientist, someone that highly educated would know better than to buy a Coronal Ridgeline.

My ST does what I want it to do. That's all that matters to me. I don't care about any other vehicle being sold. I'm happy with mine. So why all the "My dad can whip your dad", "mine is bigger than yours", Mine had more HP than yours"......etc, etc, etc. I thought that by the time one was old enough to drive, one was too old to act like a five year old.

ST is based on a truck (ranger) cRL on a Pilot ROFL:lol:

...And the Pilot is based on the Odyssey minivan.

Now, which is vehicle is more truck-like again, the ST, or the RL?;)

Caymen – “I do think Motor Trend was completely right about the Renalt. That was a real winner”

I noticed they picked the F-150 a few times (’97 and ‘04). Man, how stupid are those guys?!?!

Caymen – “Lets compare apples to apples. Compare the RL to a real 1/2 ton truck from Ford, GM, Dodge, Nissan, or Toyota.”

OK, let’s compare, shall we? I’ve seen several payload capacities for the RL on the net, anywhere from 1510 to 1670. In fairness….Since I got this information from the Autobytel website, we’ll use the listed payload capacity from them – 1554 lbs.

If you can’t figure it out, the weights listed below are in pounds. I just didn’t feel like typing “lbs.” 8 times.

Nissan Titan Crew Cab 4x4 – 1585

Chev. Avalanche 1500 4x4 – 1349

Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 – 1200

Lincoln Mark LT – 1280

Ford F-150 Crew Cab 4x4 – 1550

Toyota Tundra Access Cab 4x4 – 1515

Hmmm….the RL stacks up pretty well, if you ask me.

Q - “Pound for pound the ST is a better towing machine. Period.”

Why, because you say so? Or because the ST is rated to tow 300 more lbs. than the RL? You’re joking, right? As you admit, the RL has more horse power and torque than the ST. Not only that, the RL has a state of the art 4 wheel drive system that redistributes the HP/Torque to all 4 wheels when starting out, the transfers the power back to the front wheels at highway speeds….all without a bit of input from the driver. I think that makes it a pretty effect towing machine.

Q – (Must be a Star Trek Fan) – “You have the silly trunk that takes up mucho room underneath. The ST is Honda's biggest competitor, even Honda acknowledges that, and you cannot compare the RL with a full-sized truck. Those are oranges.

You mentioned the bed, we've had that bed long before you and ours doesn't get ugly scratches in it. Many people have complained about the bed. The trunk...pshaw. "You can put four sets of golf clubs in it!" Yeah, that's what my covered bed is for! And with our bed extender in the folded position, I got a whole lotta room there and keep it secure. I bought a cheapo handy rack that has three net baskets in it that fits perfectly between my extender and the tailgate. Put my groceries there all the time. Put a bed extender in the RL (which appears to be an accessory only), now you have problems getting to the "trunk".”

I find it funny, that you find the trunk “silly”, and yet do you know what the Ford Engineers have in store for the 2007 ST? That’s right, storage compartments in the bed of the ST. Hmmm….wonder where they got that idea?

To continue on the trunk…..where is the spare on the ST, anyway? Underneath, like most other truck-type vehicles out there? You know where the spare is in the RL? Inside the trunk, where it stays dry, clean, and very accessible (No crawling underneath the truck to get the spare out). Not only that….if you want to compare size of payload….I’ll take the RL’s combination of bed and trunk against the ST’s bed only any day of the week.

As far as the problem with the RL’s trunk and bed extender…..well, yep, that could be a problem. Ya got me there.

Nobleman – “ST is based on a truck (ranger) cRL on a Pilot ROFL.”

Wrong. The RL is not based on the Pilot. %98 of the parts of the RL are unique to the RL. Yes…the RL has a uni-body structure but it has an added truck-style frame for strength. This makes the frame 20 times more resistant to twisting and 2.5 times more resistant to bending than other trucks on the market. Sounds like a pretty good…no ground breaking….idea if you ask me.

Bill – “I thought that by the time one was old enough to drive, one was too old to act like a five year old.”

Way to attempt to take the high-road there, Bill. Too bad some of your ST forum buddies can’t do the same.

So, I will repeat myself, for you ST owners who are very slow

It makes the ST a vehicle that most people would prefer on a website called mysporttrac.com.

Haha.....good one Fred.

I have to agree....we all like our vehicles for particular reasons....and variety is the spice of life. Some of you folks are "brand loyal" and love your Fords. That's fine and dandy. This the first Honda for me and, until the "Big 3" can show me something, Honda's are gonna be my vehicle maker for some time.

I only put the above comments/information in because I did not appreciate the attacks you ST folks were spewing at the RL, that's all. I think the ST is a nice little vehicle and I wouldn't mind having one myself.....except I got a RL and I like my RL a lot more than I could ever find myself liking a ST. To each his own, I guess.

Enjoy your ST's guys. I'm sure you will enjoy them as much as I enjoy my RL!

Fordvehicles.com

F-150

Maximum payload...

Regular cab, 4x2 5.4L with payload package. 3060 LBS.

That is what? Double the Ridgeline. Towing 9500 LBS. Rougnly double that of the Ridgeline.

Lets look at the 2006 Sport Trac.

292 HP and 300 LB/Ft Torque.

Towing in excess of 6500 LBS.

Since the Ridgeline is the newest, shouldn't it be compared to the newest Sport Trac? Let's be fair here.

Tom

Caymen....since you are so fond of "apples to apples"....try comparing a 4x4 with a 4x4 and a standard suspension with a standard suspension. A two wheel drive is going to have a higher payload capacity, because a 2 wheel drive is lighter by it's very nature. Besides, that is not a "standard" payload capacity. It's a beefed up suspension package. You're the one who wants to be "fair".

Is that actuals or "estimated" (On the 2006 ST)?

Whoa....they're putting in a bigger engine and they are gonna have more torque. Well, well, well, ain't that just dandy. I wonder why? Maybe because there's a better truck on the market?!?!? Isn't competition wonderful. Now you Ford maniacs will actually get something that actually resembles a real truck.

Doesn't Honda call thier numbers "Maximum"? That is what I am doing. Listing "Maximum" numbers.

Tom

Oh, and I just found this on cnn.money.com. All you ST fans will LOVE this.....

By Lawrence Ulrich, MONEY magazine..... (and I quote):

"......It's most direct competitor is the Ford Explorer SportTrac, but frankly it's no competition: The Ridgeline is leagues ahead."

Hey, I didn't write it....don't shoot the messenger.....

Again, It took Honda how long to beat the Sport Trac? The Ridgeline will haul and tow more then the 1917 Model T would. Does that mean the Ridgeline is better?

Tom

Latest posts