Home/outdoor stereo assistance request

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bill V

Reaction score
I know some of you on here are pretty knowledgable on home stereo-type stuff, so I'm hoping someone can provide some assistance...

I currently have our primary home stereo system set up with a Pioneer 7.1 home theater receiver, which can also be set up to instead be a 5.1 system, plus a 2.0 system controlled and powered by the receiver, but run independently to another room. That is what we currently have--the 5.1 system is in our living room, and the 2.0 system goes to our outdoor speakers on our deck. The system allows the 5.1 system to be showing, say, a BluRay, while at the same time, it sends 2.0 signals from, say, the radio, to the outdoor speakers, with the volumes of the two subsystems controlled independently via the Pioneer system.

We are now expanding our outdoor patio area, and I wish to add two more pairs of speakers out there. Ideally, I want to have them all three pairs of outdoor speakers play the same signal--specifically, whatever the Pioneer 7.1 system is outputting to the 2.0 system. However, I would like to have their volumes controllable both independently of one another, and via a single remote control. (That is, for example, I want to be able to turn down the volume on the deck, leave the volume on the patio high, and set the volume by the pool to midrange.) It's fine if that remote stays indoors--I just don't want to be able to adjust the volume from the patio door at one end of the living room, rather than have to go to the compoents on the other side of the living room to adjust the volume.

What is it that I'm needing? Is it some sort of amp system? I'm assuming I'll need some sort of powered amp to boost the single-speaker power output to be strong enough to power all three pairs of outdoor speakers. If it is--do any of you know of a reasonably-priced unit which may meet what I'm seeking?

Thanks!

Bill

Last edited by a moderator:
Bill- You may only need a speaker switcher with built in impedance protection, and independent volume controls.

It would be wired directly from 2 channel system. The protection is important because running multiple sets of speakers

at the same time drops the impedance very low and can damage or overheat the receiver. Search speaker selectors.

Sorry, I haven't been in the A/V business for a while, would be glad to help if at all possible. :supercool:

swshawaii--when I look at crutchfield.com for such a speaker switch, I don't see anything which can be operated via remote control. Do you know of any?

Remote control meaning speaker on/off and volume? I'm assuming you have speaker wires run to each room.

Searching speaker switcher/selector with remote, several came up. Here's one with an optional $104 remote: